Chapter 3:

Then I heard the conductor yell into the loudspeaker, "Brace yourselves, everyone! We're about to crash!" I looked around in confusement. What did he just say? Crash? That was way too quick! Everyone was moving down the back. Once again the loudspeaker called out. "Please leave your belongings behind and more to the back of the train. Hurry!" Before I could finally grip what was goig on, a lady grabbed my arm and hurled me off the seat. "Leave your belongings behind!" She shouted. She was a Train Assistant. "No!" I shouted back. "I'm not going anywhere without my dog!"

"It doesn't matter about a dog!" She growled. "Get to the back of the train now!" I glanced over at Suzie, who was staring back at me with mournful eyes. Why are you leaving me to die? Those eyes asked. Don't you love me? I pulled away from the lady at rushed over to Suzie's crate. I fumbled to undo the door, my fingers trembling with fear. I finally got it open, and we both began running towards the rest of the passengers. But we were to late. The last thing I remembered was the violent shaking as the train collided with...what? The seeing Suzie and I fall out of the train window and into a ditch in the ground. Then everything went black as the train fell over the hole.

stars

Suzie was scared. She was confused. She had just been thrown out of the train with her Mistress. Her Mistress! She scrambled out from underneath the pile of dirt that had fallen on her and sniffed at the little girl's hands. She was breathing, so that was good. Suzie could hear voices above. Maybe they could help her? She hesitated. Wasn't the best thing for her friend right now to be left alone? How much noise would they make getting her and Suzie out? She knew that her Mistress needed rest, and those humans wouldn't give her that rest. They would be making loud noises and disturbing her peaceful sleep. No, she would have to wait for her Mistress to wake up. Suzie curled herself into a fluffy black ball by her friend's head. She would be patient and wait. She would wait forever if she had to.