Chapter 9:

I woke to the feel of Suzie's soft tongue against my cheek, and my first though was that it was dawn. Suzie sat back, realizing I was awake, and whined. Then she grabbed my sleeve in her teeth and pulled. I bolted upright. "What's wrong, Suz?" I asked, looking around. Then I noticed the strong smell of smoke and realized the train suddenly seemed much hotter. 

I crept along the seat and peered around the edge. There was nothing in the cabin, but I could see the thin trail of black smoke oozing from the door, and I could just see the flames licking the glass. A fire had started.

I grabbed my backpack and threw it on my back. Then I dove down onto my knees and shook Lottie awake. "What's happening?" She asked fearfully as she sat up. "The train's on fire." I replied, grabbing her hand. "And we need to get out, now!" I pulled her to her feet and we ran down the train, Suzie galloping at our heels.

"But where do we go?" She asked, tears sliding down her cheeks. "To the end of the train! Hurry!" I shouted. We were only a few metres from the door when the flames burst through the door on the opposite end. Great clouds of thick smoke filled the room, and we coughed as we ran. My eyes began to water as I pulled Lottie through the train. I looked down to see Suzie still at my side. I let go of Lottie's hand and grasped the door handle. I pulled and pulled, but the door wasn't budging. "Help!" I gasped. Lottie ran froward and grabbed the handle too. Together we pulled, but this time, the door remained stubbornly closed.

"We're stuck!" Lottie wailed, clutching her teddy bear closer to her. Suzie whined as the flames crept further up the carriage. Then she suddenly bounded forward. "Suzie! No!" I cried, making a dive for her tail. But it slipped through my fingers and I crashed to the ground. Lottie rushed over and knelt beside me. 

Suzie screeched to a stop just in front of the flames. She barked and growled. "How dare you?!" She howled. "Go away at once!" But the fire just kept coming. Suzie took a few steps back so that her paws didn't get singed. She was hot and huffing, but she must scare this thing away! She must!

Suzie took a few more steps back and looked back at her mistress. She was lying on the ground, watching her fearfully. And the little girl was crying! Suzie glanced back at the fire, before making her decision. She dashed back to the girls as the fire continued advancing. She was going to be there to comfort her mistress and the little girl, even if it meant turning her back on the enemy. But something stopped her, just metres from the girls. There was a cool breeze here, and Suzie could smell fresh air. But that wasn't the only thing she could smell.

This was where the wolf from last night had come in and out with! Suzie pushed her nose up against the glass and sniffed. There was a great big hole here! She pushed and the glass tumbled out. It fell three metres before smashing. A few men who were wearing bright orange uniforms stopped suddenly and stared up at her. Help!

Suzie looked over at the girls and barked. "I have found the way out!" She yipped. The girls stumbled over to her and glanced down at the men.