Chapter One

I hated science all my life. From the dissecting-the-frog biology to the memorizing-periodic-table chemistry, ugh . . . I hate it. . . I asked my parents why they chose to name me after the famous physicists and philosopher, Galileo Galilei. Mom always told me these lines, "Galilei, your dad envisioned his first-born daughter to be great." I always protested, "Mom, can you call me Stephanie?"

Galilei Stephanie Fajardo. That's me. Well, I preferred calling me Stephanie. Everyone has free will, right? I finished a bachelor's degree in Accountancy. I already took the CPA board examinations which I passed. Now, I am working in an accounting firm in Sta. Rosa, Laguna. Though the firm's salary rate was in provincial level, I'd rather have a lower salary than experience the traffic and smug that Metro Manila brings.

I am residing with my parents in San Pedro, Laguna. At twenty-three, I helped my parents in paying monthly bills. My older brother, Kuya Gabby, already in his late twenties was planning for an engagement with his long-time girlfriend, Ate Mandy. His name, well, is derived from Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit. He was the science geek between the three of us. He took up BS Biology and Medicine. He is a doctor now.

Our bunso, Tonton, was named after Isaac Newton. I am three years older than him. But, he is more mature than me. How odd is that. We are the family of scientists. Yeah right. . . Newton is currently a student. He is taking up BS Biology. On his fourth year in college, he was planning to be a doctor too.

Kuya Gabby said to me one rainy evening, "When I get married, you will be helping our parents more than I do. Consider applying in a more stable job in Mandaluyong or Muntinlupa perhaps." With so much stress on the word 'stable', he handed me some papers that maybe helpful in my quest for a bigger salary.

I obliged to follow my Kuya's advice to pursue for greener pastures. Although, I am not filing my resignation on my current job, I filed for one week leave. "One Week. . ." My boss, Mr. Alonzo, exclaimed. But he allowed that because I made it a point that I finished all the income statements of our clients ahead of time.

I started an account in a job hunting websites and prayed that if I will sign a contract in a week, then it is the will of God. That same afternoon, I have three phone interviews and they invited me for a final interview. God really answers prayer petitions. That week, I signed a contract to a very prestigious company in Mandaluyong. I have to file my resignation on my company. I bid farewell to all my friends there too.

Kuya Gabby, upon hearing the news, invited me for dinner. When I arrived at a restaurant near his office, I saw three persons: Kuya Gabby and his soon-to-be fiancée, Ate Mandy and a guy. I sent a text message to Ate Mandy just to confirm if I was really invited at their dinner.

When Ate Mandy called, she was laughing and said, "Gabby didn't tell you? He sets you up on a blind date with my best friend, Leo."

I requested to talk to him. "Kuya. . . What are you thinking?"

He went outside and found me. He shouted, "Galilei. . ."

"It's Stephanie Kuya" I could not help but rolled my eyes on him. "When are you planning to tell me about the blind date?"

"Let's go inside. . . Leo is waiting for you." Kuya Gabby was smiling the whole time that made my annoyance intensified.

I was so disappointed that he was really ready in giving her baby sister away. I sighed but complied with what he said.

That restaurant amazed me because of its theme, Fiesta ala Pinoy. From the fiesta banners to the different displays, it made me forget the annoyance I was feeling. To my surprise, Ate Mandy and that Leo were talking about me. Ate Mandy was saying to him a lot of fond things about me. If that guy was not around, I would hug and kiss her. But since he was there, I won't do it.