Chapter 23

* Paisley's POV *

"Xander be careful." I repeated for what felt like the hundredth time as I watched my injured mate slowly walking down the stairs.

Xander didn't even look up at me but instead continued to limp down the steps, one by one. I sighed and tucked away the few loose strands that had managed to escape my bun before rushing forward and meeting Xander at the bottom step.

I reached my hand out for him, attempting to help him down, but he instead pushed it away and slowly walked past me and towards the kitchen. I rolled my eyes before following behind him. I leaned against the door frame and studied Xander as he made himself comfortable in one of the many barstools around his island.

Xander had been released from the hospital three days ago and he was doing extremely well. All of his injuries, apart from the wound on his neck and mid section, were completely healed with nothing left behind except for thin white scars. The two more serious injuries had yet to completely heal and they were still causing him some pain but Xander being the stubborn man he is decided to put on a tough face and swear left and right that he isn't in pain.

"Are you going to stand there all day or are you going to join me?" Xander asked, breaking me out of my thoughts. He was motioning towards the stool next to his own with a raised eyebrow. I pursed my lips before flitting over and taking a seat on it.

We sat in silence for a while, neither of us having anything to say, and the sound surrounding us filled my ears. We were currently seated in Xander's rather large pack house and it was easy to listen to the many noises around us. I could hear the thump of footsteps up above, the sound of a couple preteen girls laughing in the other room, the conversations of multiple different people and the sound of playing children.

It is different for me, having so many sounds from so many people surrounding me all at once. You see my parents and I don't live in the pack house but instead a large and beautiful house a few miles away. We visit the pack house frequently but my parents have always said that they wanted their privacy and I understand that. So it is strange to hear so many different things in the same house but somewhat comforting.

I nearly jumped out of my seat when I felt a hand land on my shoulder and turning I saw Xander grinning down at me. A small smile tugged on the corners of my lips at the sight of it.

"What?" I asked, blinking a few times to try to regain my focus. Xander chuckled before pointing towards the living room.

"Do you want to go watch a movie?" Xander, probably, repeated the question. I nodded my head before jumping down from the stool. I turned to see that Xander was right by my side and I only smiled when he took my hand in his.

Xander led me to the large living room where multiple sofas, coffee tables and a flat screen tv were held. I took a seat on the sofa farthest away from the tv before shifting when Xander sat next to me. He pulled me to his side, wrapping an arm around my waist while I rested my head on his broad shoulder.

I was paying any attention to the movie that was playing on the television but I was instead lost in my thought. The only thing that seemed to be running through my head at the moment was the fact that in only a short period of time Xander's whole pack, and mine, will be run by my mate and myself.

The fact is hard to wrap my head around seeing as I'm only a sixteen year old girl. Xander is two years older then me and a bit more prepared for what is to come but I still can't help but to feel nervous. I may have been born an alpha female and raised to lead a pack but that never stopped me from having other dreams for myself.

Ever since I was a little girl I had always wanted to be a doctor, the thought of helping people makes me happy, but being a doctor takes schooling, and its kinda hard to go to college while running a pack. I have never talked to anybody about my dream, apart from Lela, because of uncertainty.

The thoughts of my future but a slight damper on my mood and Xander's hand, which comfortingly rested on my thigh, tightened a bit when he sensed it. I turned my head to look at him and smiled when I saw that he was already staring at me, a curious look on his face.

"What are you thinking about?" Xander asked suddenly. I blinked before looking down at our intertwined hands.

"Our future." Came my simple reply. Xander's eyebrows slightly raised before lowering. He didn't speak for a little while, seeming to be lost in deep thought, so I again rested my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. I was enjoying the heat that was radiating off of my mate when his husky voice spoke right into my ear.

"I don't know what our future is going to be like but what I do know is that I want to spend the rest of my life with you by my side." The genuine words were spoken softly, so softly that I knew I was the only one who heard them.

A small sigh left me before I pressed myself further into Xander's side, I raised and rested my chin on his chest and a small smile took over my lips when his own touched mine. It was simply a small peck but we were both aware that it had turned the previous sentence into a promise.

Xander and I weren't aware of the audience we had until we pulled away from one another. Standing a few feet away was an elderly couple, they looked to be in their late seventies and they were simply standing in the doorway watching us with tender eyes.

"Oh Stan, remember when we were that young?" The little old woman asked her mate. The man smiled, causing even more crinkles to appear on his weathered face, before replying.

"I sure do Darla. Those were the good old days." Stan answered. Darla and Stan. The names had a good ring to them. The older couple had their hands intertwined, just the same as Xander's and I, and they were staring at each other with such happiness.

And it was then that I knew exactly what I wanted in life. Going to college and being some fancy doctor didn't matter nearly as much anymore because I knew that the only thing I needed to be happy was sitting right next to me. Mating and marrying Xander is in my future, running our packs and having kids with Xander is in my future, and growing old and dying with Xander is in my future.

That's all I need and if I can have at least that in my future I know that I will be happy.

....................................................

Hey guys! So to start off I would just like to say that I am so sorry for not updating in forever. I have just had was writers block but it had thankfully gone away. I would also like to apologize for how short this chapter is, I just couldn't seem to get anything else out. Anyways thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed!(: