1; the vanishing of will byers

1. THE VANISHING OF WILL BYERS

❝IT'S A MYSTERY OF HUMAN CHEMISTRY AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. SOME PEOPLE, AS FAR AS THE SENSES ARE CONCERNED, JUST FEEL LIKE HOME,❞

edited

It was early morning as Winona weaved her way through the thin skeletal trees, their branches so bare they resembled twigs. Underneath the trees lay pools of reds, yellows and oranges. The rust coloured leaves were in almost every shape and size imaginable swirling around her feet as the wind picked up. The early morning chills were still in the air biting her nose, her hands covered in fluffy red mittens.

She lifted on of the clad fingers up to her mouth inhaling the cigarette slowly. She closed her eyes as the nicotine enveloped her system knowing full well how bad they were for her. It wasn't so much that she enjoyed the taste but the feeling of teen rebellion she drew from it, the way it angered her parents. For even reporters were full of teen angst.

Winona Henderson was small for her age, something she was used to now but would forever annoy her. Her long brown hair was in a topknot with small tendrils falling down and her mascara smeared. This was a result of falling asleep whilst writing an article and if one looked close enough the blue pen she had used was imprinted on her cheek.

The coat she was wearing as far to big for her and covered in the cheesy remains of whatever her brother Dustin had been eating when she'd realised he'd been using it has a napkin. She'd worn it though for the big pockets allowed her to fit a notebook, tape recorder and pens for one never knew when a story was about to drop.

The Byer House hold came into view as she made her way up the pathway. It was silent except for the rustle of leaves and occasionally caw of a crow. She stood in front of the wooden door, dropping the cigarette and stamping out the flame before knocking.

The door flew upon and she was greeted by Joyce Byer staring at her wide eyed. "Will-" she cut off noticing that it was only Winona. "Oh Winona, why are you here?"

"Jonathan has some photos for me," she said, small puff of smoke exiting her mouth, "They're making me do story for the school's basketball team," she rolled her eyes stepping inside after Joyce, "I mean if they just gave me some type of artistic license... I'm the best reporter in the whole school and give me a few years and I'll be the best in this town,"

Joyce, who was used to Winona randomly popping up for photos from Jonathon or dropping off her brother, let her rant. Eventually the teenage girl stopped looking at the sitcom blaring in the living room and then towards Jonathan Byers, who was making breakfast. Dare she say it but Winona always enjoyed looking at Jonathon, with his dark brownish blonde hair and bangs which were always messing and going in same strange direction or his dark eyes.

"Hey," she waved at him and he smiled back at her before looking back at the eggs he was frying letting out a yawn.

"Did Will come home with Dustin last night?" Joyce asked as Winona sat down at the table helping herself to some orange juice.

"Uh no," She shook her head, "Um... Dustin got him around 8:45, said he and Will had a race for half but he lost and well Will kept on going," Dustin loved to talk to her about his day and at ever meal without fail he'd have something knew to tell her. Whilst at times she was quiet short with her little brother she really did enjoy his presence. He was fun to be around and was always up to help her write her articles or report.

"He must just be at school early," Winona said mouth full of toast

"No," Jonathon shook his head, "He would have said so. Take it your here for the photos?"

Winona nodded finishing the toast as he left the room. The photos were of the school basketball team; it was their 100-year anniversary so the school had requested a special editorial written about them. Winona hadn't initially wanted to do it but given the fact that it was going to be front page news she'd caved. Jonathon had stayed after school with her and gone to a training session to take some pictures of them for it, hopefully they'd turn out okay.

He came back placing a yellow folder on the table with the words WINONA'S scrawled over it messily. She grinned reaching forward to pick it up and look through the photos. They'd all turned out quite well and she quickly picked out the ones she wanted in them.

"Thank Jonathon," She grinned leaning forward to kiss his check and she held the photo's close to her chest, "I'll see you around and I'm sure you'll find Will,"

She waved goodbye to Joyce who was on the phone and a blushing Jonathon.

Will Byers didn't leave Winona's mind all day and when she Dustin came home to tell her that he and his friends had been called into the office to ask if they knew where he was she'd immediately taken his bike and peddled over to the Byers Residence. She mentally kicked herself for being so insensitive that morning, she should have at least stayed and helped Jonathon look more, after all he always helped her.

The two of them weren't necessarily friends but she'd been damned if she didn't return any favours.

She jumped off Dustin's bike tearing part of her stockings in the process, her bright red sweater was pushed up past her elbows for after seeing how messy her coat was her Mother had taken it off her. She made her way up the door banging on it before opening it, she'd been over there so often she knew they never locked it if they were home.

The door creaked as Winona opened it, "Uh hey?" she called out. There was a few footsteps and Joyce appeared. She looked stressed and upset and Winona sent her a sad little smile.

"Look I heard what happened, I didn't realize it was so serious," she scratched the back of her neck, "Do you need my help because I mean I put out an article in the newspaper, you'd be surprised how many people actually read it,"

"I'd like that," Joyce nodded as Winona pulled out a notebook and a pen and followed her into the living room. The TV was now off and Jonathon was sitting the couch head in hands. She sat daintily next to him writing down Will's name and anything else Joyce told her. Once or twice Jonathon would add something but mainly it was Joyce's input. The phone rang and Joyce stood up to answer it leaving Winona along with Jonathon. He was silent and clearly upset so she held his hand tightly. Jonathon didn't say anything instead looking at her in surprise before smiling to himself slightly.

"Hello?" Joyce called into the phone causing both of them to jump and look up, "Who is this?" she pulled the phone away and the sound of static filled the room. "Will?" The moment she said his name the two of them stood up making their way over there. Joyce was distraught shouting Will's name into the phone.

"Mum!" Jonathon shouted trying to pull the phone away from her, "Mum what's going on,"

Winona was frozen staring at the scene in front of them, the distraught mother and her stoic son. Joyce was sobbing as she continued to shout into it before letting out a scream and jumping back. It seemed so obvious now that this wasn't a normal disappearance. Will had just run away with his father or gotten lost on the way home, if that had been the case they would have found him by now. Winona had known Will forever, and sure he'd just been another annoying friend of her brother but she still cared about. She still knew things about that amazing little kid who always gave her a posy on her birthday

In a few sudden seconds the phone had had a surge of electricity burning Joyce.

"Mum!" Jonathon jumped back shielding Winona with an outstretched arm.

Joyce snapped out of her thoughts as the two teenagers held her shoulders tightly and looked into her eyes. "What did you hear?" Winona desperately wished she'd remember her recorder in this moment in time, not for something selfish like an article but to show the police, even if they were deadbeats.

"I-I- heard him," She was stuttering tears spewing out of her eyes, "I heard Will breathing,"