6; the monster

6. THE MONSTER

❝I CAN REMEMBER STANDING BY THE WALL AND THE GUNS, SHOT ABOVE OUR HEADS AND WE KISSED, AS THOUGH NOTHING COULD FALL AND THE SHAME WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE. OH WE BEAT THEM, FOR EVER AND EVER THEN WE CAN BE HEREOES. JUST FOR ONE DAY❞

edited

Winona Henderson was better off dead, at least that's what she thought as she tried to pull herself up. That monster had left her laying next to the leg and meaty flesh of the deer. She pushed herself up wincing at the pain in her ankle. She massaged it looking around at the dark place surrounding her. Her hand slipped on the gooey substance sticking everywhere as she pulled herself up. She let out a small cry of pain as she stepped on her ankle, she pushed the hair out of her eyes as she surveyed where she was. The monster was no where to be seen, she figured she couldn't have been out long.

"Stupid bloody Winona," she murmured pulling herself along the trees, her ankle was definitely twisted (hopefully not broken). "Allowing yourself to get taken by the bloody thing you were hunting," she let out a groan. It was half annoyance at herself and half pain. She squeezed her eyes shut trying to remember what it had looked out. It had been faceless but she'd seen it open almost like a flower to reveal teeth just before it had taken her.

She shivered, the rows of teeth now stuck permanently in her mind. She pulled her jacket closer fumbling for her gun. Winona moved her head side to side as she tried to desperately to see it. But the darkness shrouded her vision and her breathing as loud and came in loud gasps, undoubtedly it would find her first.

"Pull yourself together," Winona muttered, "Woman up!" Her voiced echoed slightly through the caves. If the monster could get out so could she.

"JONATHAN?" She shouted abandoning any past efforts to stay unnoticed, "NANCY?" She staggered forward a string of swear words tumbling out of her mouth for whatever she had just stepped in wasn't natural. Winona sped up, her twisted ankle sending jolts of pain up her legs as she developed a limp. "GOD DAMN IT! GUYS I'M HERE!"

She had no clue where she was trees surrounding her. She stopped certain she'd seen on the the curly trees before for it had the slight impression of a smile. In fact, she'd told Jonathan. "Holy Mary Mother of God," she mumbled. Where she was, it was a much darker version of where she'd just been. Like a twisted version of reality.

"WINONA!" His voice echoed through the dark everglade.

"Jon-JONATHAN!" She called out, "I'M HERE! I'M-" She broke off hobbling forward to where she thought the sound had come from.

"WE'RE HERE!" Nancy shouted. The simple statement could mean so many different things, were they here with her or back home. "FOLLOW MY VOICE!" She heard Jonathan shout, closer than before.

But Winona didn't run towards it instead looking frozen at the monster in front of her. She stepped backwards but the growls from it indicated it too had seen her. She turned around running as fast as her injury would take her pushing past undergrowth, trying to put as much distance between her and that thing as possible.

Winona was out of breath and stopped running, resting her back against a tree. She squeezed her eyes shut trying not to make a noise. She heard the slow growls of the monster and the cracks of broken twigs made. Her hands curled into fists as she got ready to defend herself. Whether not it had seen her she didn't know but when she opened her eyes it was nowhere to be seen.

"WINONA!" She heard Nancy's voice, extremely close this time and looked up to see a tree with a hole in it. Spidery web seemed to cover the hole but a shining light still made its way through. She couldn't speak flinching as she heard the monster roar in the distance. Slowly she edged towards the light, feeling more confident she took larger steps until she was in front of it. For several minutes she stood quietly with her back next to it, adrenaline rushed through her veins but she was wary.