Living Room Peeks

Chapter Ten: Living Room Peeks

POV: Nia, Emily, and Albus

"Get back here!"

My heart was banging in my chest with painful bursts of adrenaline-fueled fear, like I was being chased by a psychotic murderer. I tried to control my breathing, pushing my palms over my mouth and nose to muffle the sound as in the distance I heard her yelling for me. 

"Nia Harper," the monster shouted, "get back here this instant!"

I was often told I was impossible when it came to making the smart choice in a scenario where the troubled path tended to be the one I would gladly run to without looking back. Yet, for those bastards who think I am never going to change, well—they are right. I will choose the highway any day.

I sprinted out from behind a crook of my father's bookcase, but I was intercepted with foul play. A spell magicked the rug to rise two inches off the ground two and trip me. 

"Grandmother," I hissed, kicking my legs when the blasted thing started to wrap around me, forbidding me to make another run for it. "We've done these stupid lessons for a month now. Leave me alone!"

Grandmother Brocklehurst appeared before me, arms crossed as she narrowed navy eyes at me. There was a massive book in her hands that she gripped with a silent prayer to whatever God she worshiped to give her patience before she used said book to beat me to death. 

"How can you ever flourish as a proper lady when you act like a wild animal?"

"I'm not some puppy you can train to stop peeing on the carpet," I told her as I continued to kick my legs, punching the rug to release me. "I don't need to be to taught how to sit, stand, and speak! I want to breathe fresh air, drink something else than tea, fly my broom—"

She scoffed at that. 

"I want to see my friends," I continued. "I want to see Liam. You're the reason why I haven't received an owl from him in weeks." I knew for a fact she was intercepting my letters; our house-elf Babbity (don't judge me) told me as such when I threatened to runaway if she did not tell me who had been tampering with my mail. Babbity had also sent Libby (my owl) to Liam's when my grandmother continued to lock her in a cage for days. 

"You'll have time for friends later," she dismissed. "Now, we will continue working on your manners."

"My manners are bloody fine."

The charm on the rug ended. I was sprawled out on the floor, glaring at the ceiling of the living room, but I was then snatched up by the collar of my vintage Weird Sisters shirt. 

"You will not bring shame to the Harper name," she hissed at me. "Do not forget your status in this world."

"What status?" I gripped her wrists, trying to set myself free. "We are at the bottom of the food chain! We aren't worth a single sickle!"

Her hand raised, but before it could fall upon my cheek, my parents appeared at the entrance. Both were so very similar in appearances, striking blue eyes, shiny blonde hair, tall and outstanding, but there were differences that made one whimsical and the other stern.

"Mother," said my own, "please excuse yourself. We would like to talk to our daughter."

"Mandy," my grandmother said, aghast, "if you do not allow me to teach this incorrigible child, then—"

"I am not your daughter," I hissed. "You don't need to teach me anything."

"That's enough, Nia," my father interjected firmly. Silence fell upon me immediately. "Forgive her, Joan. She is just restless from a month of being home."