Liar, Liar

Chapter Seventeen: Liar, Liar

POV: Rose

Usually, I am not wrong when judging someone's character. It is easy for me to tap in on their intentions, morals, and personality. Upon meeting all of my new friends, I thought I had them all in perfect little categories. Well, I, Rose Weasley, will admit I had Nia Harper all wrong. Well, partially.  From the moment we met she was sarcastic, sharp, and a little intimidating; I thought she was only going to bring chaos wherever she went. While that was true, Nia proved me wrong by having an incredible work ethic. She applied herself fully to anything she did. Even things I did not find important. 

"Thanks again, Professor. See you tomorrow," Nia said with a beaming smile, waving at the Muggle Studies professor as I pulled her by the elbow out of the classroom. "I love this class," she now said to me, all her joy bringing beautiful light to her face. "Professor Winter really knows how to engage her students, doesn't she?"

"You know, Muggle Studies is a non-compulsory lesson. It does nothing for our academic life," I reminded as our fellow Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs passed us down the spiral staircase. "And next time, heed my warning. Muggle sweets are practically toxic for the body by the amount of sugar they have."

"Well, no one can say Muggles don't know how to live," she laughed, on the verge of an overdose of candy and magic. 

I released her elbow once I was sure she would not tackle any of our classmates down the steps. "You're not going to learn anything in Ancient Runes with this sugar rush."

"See, Weasley, while you consider Muggle Studies a waste of time, I think Ancient Runes not all that important." At my gasp, Nia laughed loudly, the sound echoing off the marbled walls of the Northern Tower. "Not that it isn't a great subject, I'm just not going to be a symbol translator or historian of old scrolls. Now, Muggle Studies is crucial. What if I decide to take my law career to the other side? What if I meet a charming Muggle boy whose automobile broke down? I'd like to impress him with my maniac skills."

I furrowed my brows at her as she pulled her long, blonde hair into a messy bun at the top of her head. "I think you mean mechanic. Although, you do excel at being a maniac, too."

"I suppose you're right," she said to be with a shrug. "Besides, when would I ever do anything in my life for a bloke?"

We looked at one another, nodding firmly. Oneself before a boy. 

We were about to turn right on the corridor when someone shouted my name from the top of the staircase. Nia and I turned to find Lysander Scamander taking two steps at a time toward us. 

"Hey, San," I greeted with a smile. 

"I was wondering if I can speak to you, Rose? Alone. Just for a moment," he added with an apologetic smile at Nia.

She narrowed her blue eyes at him as she scanned him, like she could spot any concealed weapons or bad intentions that way. Everyone knew the Scamander brothers were as threatening as a pygmy puff, but for Nia the precaution was necessary. 

Once she deemed him safe, she said, "Word to the wise, Scamander, make it quick. If she misses Ancient Runes consider yourself blacklisted."

I rolled my eyes as she turned the corridor by herself. "I did not blacklist Zabini because he made me late," I yelled after her. "I blacklisted him because he screwed up my potion!"

That really did not make things better.

"Assertive, isn't she?" Lysander commented with a laugh as I frowned at myself. "I can see why Lorcan has a soft spot for her."