Story of my life (Chapter 29)

"Where are we going?" I questioned the man who had been ignoring me for the past couple of weeks.

"Back to the café," he told me.

"Are we ditching school?" I frowned at him.

"No," he muttered sarcastically.

"Who is supposed to teach Liam then?" I asked him angrily. Liam deserved to get an education. Just because Jake was ditching with me didn't mean he should be able to leave Liam with no teacher.

"I have no idea."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I fussed.

He raised an eyebrow. "It means I was going to teach your little brother up until you started chasing me around like a maniac through the hallways. I was completely prepared for all of his lessons until you popped out of your hiding spot in the library and screamed my name in the hallways."

I blushed. "It's still your fault. You were the stupid idiot who ran to the car instead of stopping in the middle of the hallway. You were the one sprinting down the hallways. Not me. You brought this upon yourself."

He rolled his eyes. "What did you want me to do? Talk to a psychopath who doesn't give a crap about anyone but herself? Who thinks the world will always go her way, and she can use her looks to get everything and anything she wants? Who forgets her promises?"

Normally I would have probably burst into tears. Or ignored him. But I was sick of this. I was sick of my life, of crying, and of all the stupid things that only seemed to only happen to my family.

Now I was just furious. "Take. That. Back. " I demanded.

He smirked. "Make me," he challenged.

"God, what is wrong with you?" I complained. "You used to be so nice and sweet. You would listen to me and care about me. You talked to me. You were one of my first friends ever. Now you haven't talked to me in weeks. And for what? You're yelling at me, insulting me, hurting my brother's education, and just....just being mean." I tried not to tear up. "What happened to you?"

He looked at me in disbelief. "What happened to me? Look what happened to you! You used to be sweet and caring. You cared about everyone's well being. Now you just forget about others and promises."

"What promises?" I screamed at him.

He took a sharp turn to the left and hit the brakes. The force caused me to smack against my seatbelt. My heart lurched. "Are you okay?" I asked him.

He nodded his head and slowly pressed the accelerator, making sure he was in the speed limit. Ignoring what just happened, he continued speaking. "You promised to go through with our plan. You promised you would meet me when I needed your help after school if I helped you."

I tried to recall if I had promised to go through with our plan. I couldn't remember. I did remember him telling me not to bother helping him after school anymore. "You told me to leave you alone," I protested.

"If you were my friend, you wouldn't have listened to me. You would have cared enough to go back and defy me. To help me."

"How was I supposed to know you wanted me to defy you? What does that even mean? Why would you not want me to listen to you? According to you, I broke the promise of keeping our plan, which by the way, I don't remember. Look where it got me now. I defied you! Look at me! I'm stuck with you in a car, screaming at you, being unproductive. You tell me, how is defying someone being a better friend to that person?"

We had reached Café on the Vine. As I looked at the familiar building, I felt so many amazing memories flood back. Jake and me laughing, talking, smiling, devising a plan that went off track...but still. The café felt like home in a strange way.