Chapter One

VOTE!!!!

(Comment your thoughts along the way)

Chapter One

This house was big. Actually, big was an understatement. Even large wouldn't give the home justice so the only word that would serve some kind of decent description to this place was enormous. This was nothing like places I would normally be, it was fancy and classy, the kind of home the wealthy people of North Carolina would have. I wasn't one of those people, not even close. I was sitting uncomfortably on this soft and perfectly white couch with my hands rested in my lap as my fingers locked tightly together, afraid that I would touch something the wrong way or get something dirty. I was holding my hands so tightly that I was sure my circulation was busting but I couldn't calm my nerves, I had no idea what kind of questions this woman was going to ask me. The name on the ad I found was Alexandra Reid, she and her husband was looking for a nanny for their two year old son. I internally rolled my eyes at the word nanny. Why can't people just use the word babysitter? Nanny is way too formal.

It all started when my dear old dad lectured me on not going to college and how I was doing nothing with my life. As usual when the lecture comes up, I nodded my head and told him that I was waiting until I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life but then he did something different from all of the other times. He told me to pack my bags and that he was done taking care of me if I wasn't going to try to take care of myself. I seriously thought he was joking, but he wasn't. He didn't even give me a few days to find a place to stay, he told me he was fed up and to be out by the end of the night. So I had spent the past 3 days at my best friend Amber's house while looking for jobs to apply to. Then I came across this ad in the newspaper. Which I would have never seen unless Amber's dad didn't read the paper every morning.

I had called Alexandra the following afternoon and we set up a time to meet for today's interview, but now I was questioning my choice in clothes. My attire was definitely not fancy enough for this place and surely she wouldn't want someone any lower than her class taking care of her child? But then again, isn't that what nannies are to them?

My eyes scanned the room at the photos that were hanging on the wall, some of paintings that looked far too expensive and some of family portraits. The frames even looked quite expensive in my opinion, but somehow everything seemed to blend together perfectly.

My head turned to the doorway as a tall, slender brunette woman walked in with a smile on her face. She held a clipboard in her hand and then I realized that shit just got real. As she walked towards me she extended her hand politely, "You must be Allison. I'm Alexandra. It's very nice to meet you."

I stood from the couch and shook her hand, returning her smile instantly, "Yes, Allison Prescott. It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Reid. You have a beautiful home."

"Please, call me Alexandra." Her smile never never faltered as she took a seat in the arm chair and crossed her legs, "Thank you, I'm quite fond of it myself. Though it feels a little too big at times."

I raised my eyebrows at her words. Hm, rich people problems.

"Let's begin, shall we?" She asked and before I could even answer her she already started with the questions, "Do you have any previous experience working with children?"

I opened my mouth for a minute, knowing that this was going to be off to a bad start, "Well, no. Not exactly..."

She just nodded her head and wrote something onto her notepad that was located on the clipboard before reading the next question, "Are you comfortable with doing a background check?"