Chapter Six

I know y'all hate author's notes, but I'll try and make this quick so please read:

I know I only recently updated this story, but I had to post another to celebrate the fact that in only FIVE chapters in a little over a week, this story have surpassed 1k views which feels incredible to me!

It has passed my first story that currently has FOURTEEN chapters.

So thank you SO much for the views, the votes, and the comments. The fact that you guys are reading and enjoying my story mean the world to me :)

Please continue to VOTE and comment, I greatly appreciate it :)

Chapter Six

   The only time Matt had been to my new apartment had been on Friday night when the cab had dropped me off. He knew the location, but not the unit number. Even so, I was unsure of why he was standing here right now when we had absolutely no reason to be interacting with one another.  The last time I had seen him was this morning before I had taken Tommy to the park, when I arrived back to their home he was gone to the office.

   But now he was standing in my doorway, wearing a usual white button down and black pants indicating that he was still in his business attaire. He must have come straight from the office. In his arms was what looked like a box covered by a white plastic bag which he glimpsed down at as I questioned him being here.

   "Did I wake you? I didn't realize how late it was when I left the office and then stopped at the store..." He held the covered box with one arm, scratching the back of his neck with his free hand.

   I shook my head instantly, reassuring him, "No, it's only 9:30. I was just unpacking a few things that my friend's family had given me..." I stepped aside from the doorway for him to walk in, "Which brings me back to my question... Of course I don't mind you dropping by, but I am curious as to why you're here. And how do you know my unit number?"

   He chuckled softly as he stepped into my apartment, "I knocked on every door until you were the one that answered, truthfully."

   My eyes widened slightly at his words. At nine-thirty in the night? Sure, it wasn't that late, but there was some elderly people in this building also who I'm sure went to sleep before now. I bit onto my lower lip and closed the apartment door, not looking away from Matt as he continued to speak.

   "And my reason for coming here is this," he held up the box that was in his hands before setting it on the floor, "I know you're just getting settled and everything, so I wanted to get you a house warming gift."

   He flashed me a charming smile, obviously feeling pretty good about himself at the moment. He had every right to. I was even surprised by him, not having expected this from him at all, "Matt, you didn't have to... I don't need anything..."

   "Just accept the gift, all right?"

   I playfully rolled my eyes before curling my lips into a polite smile, "Thank you, Matt. This was very kind of you and Alexandra. I'll be sure to thank her in the morning."

   "Actually, if you don't mind could you keep it between us?" He asked, causing my brow to to raise as I looked at him, "Alex doesn't know I'm here, she thinks I'm still at the office... I just figured I'd stop in here on my way home."