v. Alec

I quickly grabbed my backpack and headed out the door to get to my first class of the day. Since it was an 8 a.m. class, the sidewalks were practically deserted. I liked being alone best, and I knew that almost everywhere would be empty.

I pulled out my earbuds and put them into my ears. I pulled out my phone, scrolling through the music. I gave a little smile as I clicked on "FOOLS" by Troye Sivan. As the piano sounded, I started humming along.

I was perfectly happy, my music blaring in my ears as I walked to class on my first day of college. My best friend was happy with me, and for that moment, everything seemed perfect. Keyword: moment.

Of course, that feeling didn't last for long, as one of my newly appointed least favorite people tapped me on the shoulder.

"Alec!" I looked down to see a grinning face with a mop of bright red hair on her head.

I looked back up, straight ahead of me. Clary already knew that I had seen her, but I decided to act like I had no idea she was there.

Then, she did possibly the worst thing ever known to mankind. She pulled my earbud right out of my ear. I stopped walking and turned to look at her, with what I'm quite sure was a murderous glare.

"Hey," she smiled at me, clearly not catching the hint.

"What do you want?" I asked her. I started walking again. I had ten minutes to get to class, which was on the other side of the quad.

"Well," she started with a smirk on her face. "It's completely obvious that you don't like me for some reason," she paused and looked at me, looking to see if I'd give her the reason. I didn't.

She sighed. "And anyways, I'm compelled to change that."

"Good luck," I chuckled. As long as she was with Jace, I wouldn't like her. I was absolutely sure of that. Even afterwards, I knew I wouldn't like her, either. I was very good at holding a grudge.

"Seriously, Alec," she said. "I'm not used to people hating me. And I'm not gonna start with you."

I groaned. "Don't you have a class to get to or something?" I asked her, very much hoping that she would leave me alone.

"Yup," she smiled. "I'm pretty sure we have the same class." She pushed her hair back behind her ear. "Intro to American Lit?"

Yeah. I felt like I had already hit the high point of the day. Everything else seemed like it was just gonna keep going downhill.

I nodded grumpily as we finally reached the large building. Without saying anything, Clary kept following me towards the classroom. I turned back towards her just before entering the room.

"Don't even think about sitting near me, okay?" I growled.

Clary shrugged, striding off to find a spot near the middle to sit. I smiled, content with myself and happy that she was gone.

Yes, I know. I have kind of a cold heart. I like to think of myself as very strong-willed and opinionated.

A few more students slowly streamed in. I had only arrived a few minutes early, but these students were cutting it close. The belltower signaled 8 o'clock a few seconds later, just as an older woman entered the classroom.

I had taken a seat in the second row. The classroom was giant and it seemed barren, even though there were a good thirty kids present. Most of which, were clothed in pajamas.

"Good morning," The woman, who I assumed was the professor began pacing up and down at the front of the room. "Welcome to Into to American Literature."

The talking around the room stopped as everyone turned to listen to her.

"I'll be your professor for the semester," she said, smiling. "You can all call me Dr. Newcrest. Today we'll be going over the basics of this class. I'm assuming you all know the basic rules of the classroom. I will teach. If you don't listen, you'll fail. I won't stop the class for anyone, and if you need help, see me in my office during the mandated Professor hours."

There were a few murmurs throughout the room, but Dr. Newcrest began talking again. "So, can anyone tell me the basis of all literature? What makes a story a story?"

"Plot?" I heard someone answer. Newcrest shook her head.

"Good try, but no." Newcrest looked around the room. All was silent. "Anyone?" she asked. "You came to learn, not to sit, did you not?"

It seemed nobody could find the answer she wanted. I racked my brain, trying to find a good answer, but I didn't want to be wrong in front of the whole class.

"Bravery," she announced boldly to the class. "Can we all agree that it takes guts to write those first few words, creating a world where only you know the outcome?"

A few people from the back gave an "Amen," and the professor grinned.

"Writing takes courage. And the writer is the basis of all literature." She scrawled the words "BRAVE. COURAGEOUS." onto the board.

"Now, I don't give out much homework in this class, as it is a very basic, easy course. But your homework for the week is to be courageous in something. Anything at all. Write about it, and turn it into me by Monday."

I liked her already. And I knew that I had to do something good for the assignment, I definitely wanted to be on her good side.

I just didn't know what to do yet.

~~~~~~~

I had just walked out of the town's coffee shop, "Happy Express", (yes, I think it sounds a bit like a drug, too) when I figured out what my 'brave' task would be.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and scrolled through my contacts. I hesitated for a second, then summoned all the courage that I could find, and clicked the 'call' button on Magnus Bane's contact.

It rang three times, then he answered. "Hello?"

"Hi." I froze. Somehow, my brain didn't seem to process the fact that I had actually called the guy who had been flirting with me. Keyword: a guy.

"Uh, who is this?" Magnus asked. Since he was the landlord of a bunch of drunk college students, I'm sure he got many prank phone calls.

"Alec," I said. "Alec Lightwood? I was at the club. You drove me home and gave me your phone number." I said, just in case he forgot who I was.

"Alexander." I could basically hear the smile in Magnus's tone. "How are you?"

I smiled. I was glad he remembered me. I mean, just because I wanted to make friends. Magnus seemed like a friendly guy.

"I'm good. Hey, uh, could I ask you something?" I leaned against a tree on the sidewalk, trying to prepare myself for what I was going to ask him.

"Go ahead, Alexander."

"Would you like to, er, go out sometime?" I winced at myself. God, why did I have to be so awkward?

"That sounds absolutely wonderful."

"Okay!" I smiled enthusiastically.

"I'll pick you up at 8 tonight, then?" Magnus said, but it was less of a question and more of a solid plan.

"Sure," I said.

"It's a date." And with that, Magnus hung up on me.

A date? I thought. It wasn't like I was gay or anything. We were just hanging out. It was nothing like that.

Right?