The Perfect Present: Part Two

Merry Christmas! I hope you all enjoy this chapter, and please, please, please leave a comment telling me if you did! I appreciate all of you readers and I couldn't be thankful enough for all of you. 

The Perfect Present: Part Two

Magnus

I smiled as I tugged on my bowtie. I was extremely dressed down from what I usually wore. I was wearing regular black dress pants, glittery black dress shoes, a red suit jacket with a white button-up, and a shimmery green bowtie. My cat, Chairman Meow rubbed against my leg affectionately.

"Daddy's going to go on a date," I cooed as I bent down to scratch his head as he purred. I stood back up and looked in the mirror one last time. I still was in shock about Alec wanting to spend Christmas Eve with me. I was delighted, I just couldn't believe that I meant that much to him.

I had figured it would be a long shot, but I had invited him over for Christmas Eve and asked him to spend the night. Surprisingly, he had agreed.

It was 6:00, and Alec would be arriving at any second. I walked back into the kitchen and poured two glasses of champagne. I wanted to night to be as perfect as possible. I checked on the turkey in the oven one last time, and all things seemed to be going smoothly.

I moved into the living room and sat on the couch as I sipped the champagne. I checked my watch periodically as 6:30 rolled around. Now I was starting to get worried. I pulled up his contact in my phone, debating whether or not to call him. I didn't want to seem to clingy or attached, but I wanted to know why he was so late.

I shoved the phone back in my pocket and took a deep breath. I would wait until 7 to text him. Maybe the roads were bad? The thought of him standing me up made my insides go cold.

It was 6:55 when I finally heard a knock on the door. I had spent the past 25 minutes coming up with possible excuses for his tardiness, but it seemed that now I could find the answer.

"Alec," I smiled, relieved to see his face as I opened the door. "How-" I stopped as I finally got a good look at him. He looked like an absolute disaster. His hair was a wet and freezing, his coat and pants were splattered with mud and his face was bright red.

"I'm sorry," he said, his eyes wide. "I ran into some trouble, and I had to make a last minute stop to get something, and it ended up taking a lot more time than I anticipated. My car broke down and I had to walk the last few blocks and some guy ended up hitting a mud puddle and it got all over me," he said, exasperated. "I'm sorry," he shook his head as he handed over a small white jewelry box, which was also covered in mud.

"It's for you," he said, holding it out for me to take.

I frowned. "I'll open it in a second," I told him and set it on the coffee table nearby. "First, let's get you cleaned up. I have some clothes you can wear." Alec nodded as I gestured for him to come into the apartment. "Are you okay?"

Alec grinned as he shrugged his coat off. "I ended up getting what I wanted. So, yes." I took his coat from him and led him to my room, pointing to my closet.

"Take whatever you want," I told him. "I'll wash your clothes once you've changed."

He nodded. "Thank you," Alec said as he kicked off his boots, accidentally spraying mud all over the floor of my closet. I couldn't contain my laughter.

"Jesus," Alec muttered, his face pale and eyes wide. "I am so sorry, Magnus," he began to ramble on as I kept laughing. He gave me an odd look. "What's so funny?'

"Nothing," I shook my head, the laughter finally dying out. "It's just that, for a while, I thought you were going to stand me up. And now here you are, getting mud all over my house." We both looked at the muddy tracks and smiled. "I don't think I would want to spend my Christmas Eve any other way."