The Shallow Flake

Before you go on a date, it's so easy to stalk the other person's Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Vine, and more. The prospect of going in totally blind is ludicrous. But, that's exactly how the dates I set up worked. If you go in without any preconceived ideas or expectations of your match, you're forced to actually pay attention to what they say and ask thought-provoking questions.

One sneaky client broke my cardinal rule. With the limited information I had given him (her first name, industry, and neighborhood), he was still able to find her online. Fifteen minutes before they were supposed to meet, he called me in a panic: "Hannah, I can't go through with it. I found her Facebook. I'm not attracted to her at all."

No. I did not interview dozens of prospects, arrange a time that worked for both of their insanely complicated schedules, and plan a creative date, only for him to back out. I put on my cheeriest voice and told him he must be looking at the wrong profile.

His voice shook. "I can't do it. She's not attractive. I'm not going to go."

That's when I realized: A man's worst fear is being on a date with a woman he doesn't deem attractive enough. It's slimy, wretched, and disgusting — and, considering that women are often forgiving of a few extra pounds or a receding hairline, it's grossly unfair.