Chapter 18: The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship

Saturday, September 30, 2017

"Hey, Al?" Scorpius asked.

"Hmm?"

"Can we go to lunch now? I'm starving!'

"Just a few more minutes... hold still! Merlin."

"But A-al."

Al rolled his eyes. "Patience Sco-orp!"

There was a knock at their "door" and Teddy poked his head through the beaded curtain. "Can I come in?"

"Sure!" Scorpius hopped down from the bed. Al rolled his eyes, but shut his sketchbook.

"What's up, Uncle Teddy?"

"Not much. What are you boys working on in here?"

"Er, nothing?"

"Right."

Scorpius bit his lip. "Are you here to give us the lecture about going outside again, Uncle Teddy?"

Teddy laughed. "Like you'd listen any better this time. No, I actually came to deliver a message."

"Oh?"

"Mmm. Let's see..." He drew a deep breath. "Headmaster Longbottom told me to tell you that Professor McGonagall told him that Madam Pomfrey told her that your fathers have been eating meals together in the hospital wing, and that if you hurry you might be able to join them for a bit."

There was silence for a moment, as the three of them stared at one another, sorting through the tangle of words, and then Scorpius shouted "Come on, Al!" and tugged him out the door, Teddy's laughter chasing after them.

They burst into the hospital wing, panting, to find their fathers staring at them. For a moment, no one spoke, and then Madam Pomfrey bustled out of her office, wiping her hands. "Not a moment's peace around here, I swear. All right. Which of you is it this time?"

"Er, what?" Scorpius asked, frowning.

"I've no time for games, lads; this is my lunch break too. Now, which of you needs patching up?"

"Teddy said - " Scorpius started, and then "oof!" as Al elbowed him in the stomach.

"What my friend here was trying to say," Al said, glaring at Scorpius, "is that Uncle Teddy - er, Professor Lupin, that is - gave us your message. He asked us to tell you that's fine."

Madam Pomfrey frowned at him for a second, and then her face cleared. "Ah. Right. Well, good." She nodded to herself. "Oh, if you boys want to stay and chat with your fathers, I suppose I can't stop you. I'll just let the house-elves know, so they can bring you a plate." She bustled off back to her office.

Harry and Draco were staring at them suspiciously. Scorpius gulped. "Um. Hi?" he offered.

Al rolled his eyes and pulled up a chair next to Harry's bed. "Hi Dad. Professor Malfoy. What's up?"

Draco raised an eyebrow as Scorpius hurried to pull up a chair next to Al. "Not much. Er, what's up with you, Mister Potter?"

"Oi! How come he's 'Mister' Potter?" Harry protested.

Draco scowled at him. "Because you, Potter, haven't earned my respect, nor are you my student." He sniffed.

Harry threw a roll at him.

Draco picked up his own roll, eyes flashing dangerously, but paused when Madam Pomfrey's indignant shout rang through the room. "If you throw that, Mister Malfoy, I'll throw you out on your ear."