Chapter 44: Cold Comfort

A/N: I'm going to do my best to finish up this story by the end of October, so I can focus on my novel in November for nanowrimo. I *think* I can do it - and will wrap this up by early November at the latest. I'm sad that we're reaching the end, but at the same time, there's not that much more I want to do with this story, and I'm pretty happy with how it has gone so far, and how the ending is shaping up. Thank you to all of you who have stayed with me for the ride these past few months. I've really appreciated all the comments and encouragement. Just wanted to let you know :-)

---

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Draco and Pansy were curled together on the small couch in the library, Blaise draped comfortably over their laps, the three of them gravitating unconsciously to the position they'd always preferred in school. Blaise's head rested in Pansy's lap, his knees in Draco's. Pansy idly stroked his hair; Draco stared moodily into the fire.

"Blaise, darling," Pansy asked, "what happened? You disappeared and all either of us heard from you was that note —"

He groaned. "Rachel is what happened."

"That Beauxbatons chick I saw you with at the Triwizard Tournament?"

"That's the one. My illustrious mother betrothed me to her as soon as I graduated." He frowned. "Well, no, I think the betrothal was actually after fourth year, but she didn't tell me about it until I graduated. I guess she thought it prudent to wait on planning anything until she knew if I'd be alive."

"And?"

"And what Pansy? You'll have to be more specific."

She flicked his forehead with one long fingernail.

"Ow! Salazar, Pansy. That hurt."

"Good," she said, unrepentant. "It was supposed to. Now. What happened?"

He grimaced. "What else? We got married. I didn't mind too much - she was even more beautiful then than she was at the Tournament."

Pansy flicked him again.

"What was that for?"

"For not inviting us to the wedding."

"You weren't really... politically expedient, is the phrase I think mother used. She handled all of that - I just had to show up."

"And you didn't write us after because..."

"Because Rachel was jealous. She didn't like the idea of me writing to my old friends - was afraid I'd be unfaithful."

Pansy coughed. "That's not entirely unreasonable Blaise. You're a terrible flirt, and you'll sleep with almost anyone, as just about everyone in Slytherin can attest. And half of Ravenclaw."

"...That's beside the point."

She snorted and patted his head. "Keep telling yourself that, darling."

"Anyway, I did what she asked. And she still left me for fucking Chris." He scowled.

Pansy gently smoothed away the lines on his brow. "There, there. Don't fret, darling, you'll get wrinkles."

Draco, who had been unusually quiet during their exchange, sighed heavily. Pansy and Blaise both turned to look at him. Pansy patted Blaise's head one more time, and then gently shifted him so she could stand.

"Well, I'm off to bed darlings. Don't get too crazy without me."

Blaise lifted one hand in a languid wave. "Going to have your wicked way with Granger, then?"