Chapter 23: A Troll in the Dungeon?

Friday, October 13, 2017

"Come on slowpoke."

Draco stopped, staring incredulously. "Slowpoke? Really? What are you, twelve?"

Harry flashed his irrepressible grin. "Nah - if I was twelve we'd be hexing each other."

Draco's mouth twitched up at the corners. "Or punching. You had a penchant for physical attacks, as I recall."

"Yes, well. I hadn't grown up around magic. When I wasn't thinking - " He eyed Draco, mouth opening on a snide remark, out of the corner of his eye - "Yes, yes, I know, you don't have to say it." Draco closed his mouth. "And you're right - I didn't think very often, where you were concerned. Anyway, my instinct was to rush in with my fists, in those days."

"And it isn't now?" Draco raised one eyebrow skeptically.

"Well... not always."

They walked for a bit in silence, each wrapped in his own thoughts. Harry's face had taken on an odd, pensive expression, and Draco wasn't sure quite what to make of it. Harry was the same as he'd always been, in so many ways, but in others...

Harry nudged him, dragging him out of his thoughts. "Race you to the Great Hall?"

"Again, what are you, twelve?"

Harry took off running. Draco scowled. "Potter!" he called, sprinting to catch up, "That's cheating!"

"So?" Harry called over his shoulder. "You should appreciate that, being a Slytherin, and all."

Draco gritted his teeth and concentrated on running faster. By the time the Great Hall came into view, Draco was right on Harry's heels. He put on one last burst of speed, and they slammed through the doors together, just as Neville was sitting down to eat.

They skidded to a halt, looking around sheepishly at the shocked faces of their students and colleagues. Neville stood back up, raising one eyebrow in an eerie echo of Dumbeldore.

"Professor Potter. Professor Malfoy. Is there something you'd like to tell us?" His other eyebrow rose to join the first. "A troll, in the dungeon, perhaps?"

The students looked worried; the professors looked like they were trying not to laugh. Minerva snorted. Draco stared at Neville incredulously, then turned to meet Harry's eye. They both started laughing. Harry leaned against him, after a few minutes, still shaking with laughter, and Draco froze.

"Come on," Harry said, still chuckling, seemingly not noticing Draco's reaction. "Let's go eat."

Draco trailed after him, as he wended his way through the confused students. They took their places at the table. As soon as Harry had calmed down, he turned to Neville.

"So, Nev. We were thinking - "

Neville raised one eyebrow. "Yes?"

"Well, you know how the students have been bugging me to duel Malfoy?"

"You might have mentioned it. Once or twice."

Harry smiled sheepishly. "Er, right. So, anyway, we thought maybe we could."

Minerva leaned around Neville to stare at him. "You want to duel, Mister Potter?"

Harry colored. "Well, no. Not exactly. Not an actual duel. More of a..."

"Demonstration," Draco supplied.

"Exactly." Potter nodded his thanks. "Anyway, it doesn't make sense for us to disrupt classes over and over again, so we thought we could have an assembly."