Chapter 20: Tea and Scones

Saturday, October 7, 2017

"It's a lovely day for a Hogsmeade weekend, don't you think so, Minerva?" Neville asked, smiling beatifically out over the town, bustling with students on this fine October day. It had rained, earlier, and the air was clear and fresh, fairly sparkling with promise.

There was just enough of a breeze to make Minerva grateful that she'd thought to wear her warmer autumn cloak today. She clutched it closer, fending off the chill in the air that heralded an early winter, and scowled at the milling students. Troublemakers, the lot of them. "It would be lovelier if it weren't a Hogsmeade weekend."

From her other side, Teddy snorted.

"Why on earth did you insist on meeting here, Neville?" Minerva asked crossly. "We'll be lucky to get a booth at the Three Broomsticks." She lifted her hem as she slogged through a puddle. She nearly stumbled, pressing close to Neville's side as a gaggle of fifth-year girls swept past, giggling and jostling one another and not paying a whit of attention to anyone.

"Ah, but we're not going to the Three Broomsticks." Neville nodded sagely, stroking his beard, and then gently took her arm, steering her toward a cheerfully tacky storefront. "Here we are."

Minerva gazed skeptically over the rims of her glasses, grimacing. "Madam Puddifoot's, Neville, really?"

Neville's grin widened, and his eyes twinkled. "Don't make that face," he chided. "She makes the best scones this side of London."

Minerva shook her head and muttered disparaging remarks about Neville's taste in scones, tea shops and idea of suitable meeting places under her breath, but followed him into the shop anyway, rolling her eyes at the profusion of doilies and lace. At least there weren't many students, and the booths were arranged for privacy. Maybe it wouldn't make a terrible meeting place.

She nearly smiled at Teddy's wide-eyed curiosity, as he gazed around the shop with open interest and bafflement, but caught herself at the last minute. That would never do. She pasted her best stern, disapproving expression on her face, determined not to show one whit of enjoyment. Just because Neville Longbottom had grown up to be Headmaster, did not mean that he could boss her around with impunity. Not even with that obnoxiously Dumbledore-like twinkle in his eyes.

"Are you trying to turn into Dumbledore, Neville?" Minerva asked, exasperated, "or is it just that you're Headmaster now?" She stared at him, as another thought struck her. "Godric, did I act like Dumbledore when I was Headmistress?"

Neville laughed. "You were Acting Headmistress - perhaps that exempted you. I have been talking to Albus's portrait a lot of late, to get advice on administrative issues, so perhaps it's a combination of both. Now, is there anything besides scones that either of you would like for me to order?"

---

"So," said Neville, after the tea and scones had arrived and they'd all tucked in - and Minerva was not going to give him the satisfaction of moaning in pleasure at the way the buttery confection melted on her tongue, even if it was the best scone she had ever eaten - "what's the status of our Potter-Malfoy problem?"

Minerva threw up her hands (only just remembering to put the scone down first) and glared at the ceiling. "I don't know what went wrong! Poppy told me yesterday that they were getting on just fine! She said they had lunch with their boys the day before - that Malfoy had taken to eating all his meals there - and that they would have gotten in a food-fight if she hadn't intervened. Then, yesterday, Draco left Harry a box of candy - those horrid Bertie Botts' things, you know - and Harry sent him a note, and they were getting on as usual. And then Harry said something - too quietly for her to hear - and Draco got spooked and ran. She said Harry was in a right state, and she almost didn't let him go, but she didn't think she could justify keeping him there any longer. And, then, you've seen them since - brooding and gloomy and snappy." Minerva sighed. "Maybe we were wrong. Maybe there's just too much between them."