sixteen

I lifted up the glass bottle and poured some oil onto the pan before swirling the pool of oil around. When I hear the sizzling sound coming from the pan, I placed the marinated piece of chicken gently on it. "Babe," a masculine voice sounded from behind me as warm arms wrapped itself around my waist.

"You're awake," I said to the guy and he gave me a kiss on the cheek. "What're you cooking? Smells delicious," the guy asked and I replied, "your favourite."

"But you're my favourite," came his cheeky reply and I turned around to see Ethan smiling mischievously at me.

"Xael!" Someone said loudly against my ear. "Hey! Wake up!" The person continued and I swatted my hand at his/her face and turned my head the other way.

I felt fingers on my cheeks and before I know it, they were being pulled. "Ouch," I bolted upright to see Ethan in front of me. "What was that for?" I asked harshly, to which he replied, "its break time, you were drooling in your sleep."

I blushed when I remembered the dream I had earlier. What was that? "Why are your cheeks so red? Were you dreaming about something dirty?" Ethan teased and I frowned at him before packing up.

"Silence means consent," he continued his teasing as I stood up and got ready to leave the classroom. "Don't you know that you shouldn't annoy someone after you woke them up, rather harshly as well?" I said in a low voice as I hastened my pace, eager to get away from him. "Nope, never heard that one before," he remarked. "You just did," I replied before stomping on his foot and running down the hall.

"Hey," I greeted my friends while huffing. I really should get some exercise. It was just a short distance between my classroom and the cafeteria.

"Hey," they greeted back as I placed my bag pack down on the bench. "I'll go get some food," I told them before making my way to the front of the cafeteria. After grabbing a roasted chicken sandwich and a can of sprite, I was about to return to the table when I spotted a familiar figure some distance away chatting happily with a skinny blonde beside him.

Ethan Ford.

The blondie had one hand over her mouth as she laughed at something Ethan said while playfully hitting his chest with the other. Eew. I scrunched my face in disgust and adverted my gaze away from them.

"What's with the frown?" Ava asked once I sat down beside her. "Nothing," I mumbled as I took a large bite of my sandwich. "You're lying," Zoey gave me a disbelieving look as I sighed. Nothing can escape my friends' eyes. 

"Eaten eas been gisgusdin," I said with my mouth still full. "What?" My friends chorused, not catching a single word I said. I swallowed the chunk of food in my mouth before speaking again.

"Ethan is being disgusting," I repeated, looking over at Ethan's table once more. My friends followed my line of vision and looked at the subject of our conversation. Blondie was still flirting with Ethan, she now had her head on his shoulder. I could not resist the urge to roll my eyes.

I adverted my gaze from the couple the second time in thirty minutes and sipped a large mouthful of spite, in hopes that it would wash away the uncomfortable feeling at the pit of my stomach.

"Is this what it looks like?" Zoey turned around with a large smile on her face. "I think it is," Ava answered, mirroring Zoey's expression.

"What?" I questioned, not understanding what they're getting at. "This is what we call, jealousy, my dear," Zoey looked at me, looking rather pleased.

"My little girl has grown up. She's having her first crush," Ava gushed and I looked at my friends in disbelief. Is this the conclusion that they ended up with? That I had a crush on Ethan?

"Listen. There's no freaking way I would–" I tried to explain myself but was cut off. "Haven't you heard of the saying? The more you deny your feelings, the more they show?" Ava interrupted me. "No, I–" I started but was cut off once again. "Actually, its not surprising. You both do STAY together," Zoey commented, placing emphasis on the word 'stay'.

I heaved a deep sigh. This isn't working. My friends are too excited after assuming I had feelings for Ethan.

"Xael!" A familiar voice called out from behind me and all three of us paused our conversation to look at the source of 'disruption'.

"Can I sit here?" Xavier walked over with large strides and asked us. "Sure," I answered, as my friends gave me the look.

"What were you guys talking about earlier?" Xavier asked once he sat down, in an effort to join in on our conversation. "Oh...we're just talking about how our little Xael here has a cr—" Zoey wanted to say but I immediately put my hand over her mouth. Oh god.

"It's nothing, I was just correcting a mistake they made earlier," I forced a smile as I tried to signal to Zoey using my eyes. "Yeppppp," Zoey answered casually, removing my hand from her mouth and flashed her signature fake grin that only Ava and I could spot.

"Okay then," Xavier replied as he turned to look at me. "Is there something on my face?" I questioned in curiosity and he laughed. Nodding, he pointed to my mouth. "You're a messy eater," he commented, still grinning.

I reached my fingers to my lips in an attempt to wipe off the traces of me being a 'messy eater', but there were none. "Where is it?" I asked my friends, but before I could react, Xavier's slender fingers reached over and wiped the corners of my mouth, leaving my friends and I a little dumbfounded.

"Th...thanks," I mumbled out and thankfully, the bell rang, preventing any awkward moment between us.

"I'll get going," I told the trio at the table and rushed off with my bag pack. In my haste, I accidentally tripped on someone's shoe and made out with the floor.

"Dammit," I cursed as I tried to pick myself up, but winced when I felt the throbbing pain on my right ankle. What's with my luck nowadays? I sighed in frustration as students bypassed me, giving me looks.

"What are you doing? Sitting on the floor when lessons are 'bout to start?" Ethan's amused voice sounded and I looked up to see him towering over me. I felt so small at that instant.

"None of your business," I mumbled as I stayed in my position. "Fine, continue your date with Mr Floor then," Ethan mused and walked straight to class.

Urgh. What had I just done? I should have gotten help. I let out another frustrated groan and attempted to stand up when I felt arms beneath my knees and at my back.

"Wha—" I wanted to say but stopped when I saw who scooped me up. "You..." I blinked rapidly as I took in the face of my roommate. "Yes, me," Ethan replied as he shook his head a few times at me. "Stubborn," he mumbled under his breath. "I heard that," I said in a straight tone and he smirked.

"You're quiet," Ethan commented as he sat me down at the back of his car. I scratched the back of my neck sheepishly, "thanks."

"What? I didn't catch that," Ethan remarked as if taunting me. "I said, thank you," I repeated again but Ethan's reply was the same. I rolled my eyes before repeating myself once more, but this time, at a much much louder volume.

"I said, thanks!" I shouted in Ethan's ear and he winced from the loudness. "Dammit," he cussed and I smirked. "You were the one who had a hearing problem. Do you need some hearing aids, old sir?" I mocked and he scoffed. "Will you get a pair for me then, young lady?"

I poked my tongue out at him before resting my head against the window.

God knows what will happen if Ethan didn't pass by.

I looked at the back of Ethan's head as he drove, thanking him silently once more. Maybe he's not that bad of a person deep down.