twenty five

"Did you hear that Ethan had gotten himself a girlfriend?" I heard the blondie beside me ask her brunette friend. My heart skipped a beat upon hearing that. "Yeah. Do you know who she is?" Her friend replied. I strained my ears to better hear them as students started coming into the classroom. "No idea. I just heard that she's a model," blondie told her friend. "I heard that she's a singer," another classmate butted into their conversation.

What? I shook my head upon hearing what they said. Since when was I a model or a singer?

"She must be really pretty then, since none of the girls in this school managed to catch his eye," the brunette scoffed. "I heard that she seduced him, what a slut," the classmate who butted in previously added.

My lips flattened into a thin line upon hearing that. Pfft, since when did I seduce him? A slut? Seriously?

"As a matter of fact, I was the one who tried to seduce her," an all too familiar voice sounded behind me and I widened my eyes as I turned to look at the newcomer. Ethan. The girls who were gossiping beside me looked up in shock and had the same expression as me. "She's so pretty she could become a model, right? But you all got something wrong, she's from this school, so actually, one of the girls in this school managed to catch my eye," he said smiling sweetly while looking at me. Oh god.

You know that awkward moment when the people who were gossiping about you find out that you overheard them? I wish I could just bury myself in the ground this very instant.

I shot Ethan a look to ask him to stop but he made no intention to and continued to smile innocently at me.

"You know...I don't date sluts, that's why I rejected you guys," Ethan spoke up for me. Warmth blossomed inside me and though I find it embarrassing to be in such a situation, I kinda like this.

The girls stared daggers at me after Ethan's words and I blinked rapidly at the wave of hatred directed at me. Had I just made enemies with Ethan's fangirls? Its gonna take awhile to adapt to Ethan's popularity.

"Class, take out your textbooks," the teacher who just entered said loudly. "I'm Mr Smith, your teacher is absent today, so I'm supposed to take over his lesson," Mr Smith told us.

Although I'm glad that Mr Wallace was absent, but Mr Smith seemed even more unpleasant as compared to him. "I'll give you thirty minutes to study through chapter 8. We will have a short surprise test," Mr Smith announced, earning groans from the class. Urgh. I was right. This was a hundred times worse than being bored in Mr Wallace's class.

I was never good at mathematics, thirty minutes is certainly not enough for me. I flipped through the pages of the textbook, trying to memorise the formulas, but as always, we have a strong repulsion. Groaning, I laid my head on the table as I gave up on studying. As I was about to drift into a daydream, a paper ball landed on my head.

I didn't have to look around to see who had thrown it. Uncrumpling the paper, I read the message written on it.

Don't worry. I'll study with you if you ever need it :)

Turning my head to the side, I smiled gratefully at Ethan who was trying to cheer me up. Thanks, I mouthed to him silently.

"Ok, time's up. Put your textbooks away," Mr Smith's voice boomed. We did as we were told and Mr Smith passed down a stack of test papers. After taking a piece, I passed down the stack and wrote my name on mine.