I Should've Known Better Than This

Alex

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xavier's POV

Why did she leave? Did I do something wrong? What is happening to me? I haven't felt these emotions in years. I think.....I think, I might like her. Yea, I think I'm falling for her.......That's ridiculous, I don't like her, she isn't my type. Oh, who am I kidding?! She's grown on me. I park my car outside her apartment. I can't believe I slept in for so long. I look at the piece of paper, that has her address on it. I walk to the elevator and press the button 5, I wait patiently for the elevator to reach its destination.

I walk down the hall, my hands suddenly get hot and clammy and my heart thumps rapidly against my chest. Am I nervous? I never get nervous! I stop at her door and knock twice, I wait for her to answer. I turn around to leave when the door swings open. I smile thinking that it is her only for it to fade at the sight of a little boy around the age of 5. Am I at the wrong address? Do I have the wrong address written down? I notice the kid is waiting for me to say something. "Um, is this Alessandra's house?" I ask nervously. "Yea but mummy isn't home, sorry." My heart drops, she has a kid? Does she also have a husband or a boyfriend?

A guy about 24 with brown hair and brown eyes appears behind the little boy. Jealousy bubbles up inside of me. My eyes travel down to his left hand to see a gold wedding band on his ring finger. Anger courses through my veins. Betrayal burns deep inside of me. "Hey buddy, who's this?" I watch the man address the child. I clear my throat and shove my anger and jealousy down. "Uh, sorry. Wrong address." I force a smile, the guy smiles awkwardly at me. "It's OK." He pushes the kid inside. "Well see ya." He says before shutting the door. I resist the urge to punch the wall. I can't believe she cheated on that poor guy with me!!! And here I thought she wasn't that kind of person. I guess, I was wrong.

But why doesn't she wear a wedding band or an engagement ring? Ugh, who cares? I take a deep breath before getting into my car, I was so engrossed in my own thoughts that I didn't even realise that I had made it back to my car. I can't believe, I let myself fall for her. I should've known better than this. I never should have slept with an employee. I'm supposed to keep my personal and work life completely separate. I failed to do even that. I dial my best friend's number, who is a private investigator. Alex is someone I trust with my life. "Yello!" He answers in a disturbingly cheerful voice. "I need a favour." I turn into my street and park my car outside the building. "Don't you always?" I laugh and turn my car off. "I need you to find out everything you can about Alessandra Williams." I demand, I grit my teeth. "OK, may I ask why?" He asks the dreaded question." I close my eyes and sigh. "No, you may not." I crack my knuckles and get out of my car.