2. Arrival Of A Princess

16 years ago, Italy.

Bernard Romero was getting restless.

He couldn't help but feel as though something ominous had happened. Dread was slowly crawling up his skin as though something very wrong had occurred....something which he had no control over, which was completely nonsensical!

After all, he was the head of the Romero Crime family.

Nothing and no one could hurt him!

No one.... except Cristina Romero, his youngest child, his only daughter.His pride and joy, who had hurt him very much with her decisions in her life. Even thinking about his beautiful daughter hurt him. Her smiles, her tinkering laughter, the way her eyes would twinkle mischievously... by god's, he missed her.

With a heavy sigh, he slowly started walking towards his office where a meeting with some of his associates was scheduled to occur.

When he entered the room, he saw that his elder son Rickard was already seated at the table, a stoic expression on his face, but as Bernard entered, he stood up in respect to the man that wasn't only his father but also his superior- The Don.

"Father,is everything alright?", he asked, a small frown on his face.

Just as he was about to reply, a knock was sounded on the door. Aware that it must be their men who had come for the meeting, both father and son took their seats at the table.

"Come in", Bernard commanded authoritatively.

The door opened and walked in three of the high ranking members of the Romero Crime Syndicate.

After paying their respects to the Don and the Underboss, they took their seats and the meeting began.

Two hours into the meeting, they all heard loud bangs coming from outside the door to the meeting hall. They all stood at once, taking out their guns and aiming them at the door, as the sound of shouting and gun fire grew loud until suddenly it stopped and the door opened.

Bernard was left utterly shocked as inside walked a man who he thought he would never see again. He looked roughed up and seemed to be bleeding profusely from his shoulder.

"Pietro!", he growled out in disbelief and rage."You have a lot of nerve coming here. How dare you stand before me? How dare you show me your face after betraying me?"

"I did not betray you",the man named Pietro replied forcefully. "I was doing my duty, fulfilling the oath that I had taken on my honour."

"Honour?", Rickard spat, coming out of his stupor. "So it was your honour that made you assist my sister to run away with that bastardo?", he fumed.

He walked towards Pietro until he was standing right before him, his gun digging under Pietro's chin. "Give me one good reason..... One good reason to not slaughter you, right here, right now!",he spoke in a deceptively calm voice.

Pietro looked at him, an edge of desperation peaking into his otherwise blank face."And I surrender my fate in your hands. I will not even attempt to fight my way out of here if it's my life that you desire, Master Rickard. But please I need to tell you about -"

"Silence",Rickard roared,"You've done enough." He motioned to the guards who had filtered in the hall, to take Pietro away. "Take him to the cellar, and keep a surveillance around him at all times. I will arrive shortly."