Chapter 10

"That woman...she's the new assistant for the executive director, right?" A man whisper inside the same elevator as me. His partner, a middle-aged redheaded woman, and he were both staring at me since the moment I came to their view. Both of them weren't even trying to be discreet about the matter too.

"She must be feeling all almighty to be trusted with an important job."

Wrong. As much as I acknowledge that being the executive director's secretary was extremely important, I have been yanking my hair because of the pressure since Michael's business trip was announced. It required a lot of endurance to get everything arranged from the flight, reports transfers, and organized conference times for both the CEO and director of our company. Without Mrs. Patricia's guidance throughout the whole process, I would've been lost.

"Quit spewing nonsense," Someone spoke beside me. The voice is belonging to my friend and co-worker, Ashton Irwin, was fortunately in the elevator with me. His usual brilliant green eyes became sharp, and he glanced over to the duo behind us. "She deserves this position."

"Ashton," I whisper to him. My hand reached out to his arm immediately, and I moved closer to his side. "Please don't."

The elevator's door opened, and the couple fled out instantly.

Ashton's triumphant stare follows them before I shook his arm. I certainly did not want to cause any undesirable dilemmas for him at work.

Ashton sighs. "It bothers me to know that you allow these people to speak like that towards you."

"We both knew that this sort of response was to happen when I was selected."

Of course, the company was not pleased to hear about a woman like me being entrusted to the position of secretary for the executive director. This followed many confrontations with my co-workers; some have questioned my lack of experience, and few accusing me of having an inner motive. I ignored it all since I was afraid to cause any commotions to satisfy those rude people.

Ashton scoffs at my response and then places his large hand on top of my head.

"Whatever. The birthday girl shouldn't be upset on her day."

Right. Beginning today, I am officially twenty-four years old. It additionally meant another year that my mother would call later at night investigating as to why I'm still single as I drown my loneliness with a carton of Chinese food and beer.

However, it also wasn't like I was in the celebration mood either. In the past week, I've surrendered myself to my work before the trip to New York; filing, typing, more filing, more typing, and the exceptional phone calls. I just had absolutely no time, but I also wasn't the only one too. Michael, my impeccable supervisor, was also immensely occupied with his obligations, and I haven't adequately seen or communicated with him.

In a way, I was glad that I could save myself from the embarrassment of seeing him since the incident.

The elevator gates open, and we both walk towards the empty lobby before Ashton grabs my wrist and draws me in for one of his famous warm hugs. The stress that I was building up diminish when his long, muscular arms squeeze around my waist as my head smoothly touched his chest. I can also smell his familiar fragrance, one that reminds you of a walk through the first rainstorm that slowly hits you... a fresh, earthy smell. (A/N: Idk what's going on with me, but as you can see, the author doesn't know how to describe smells.)

"Happy Birthday," Ashton mumbles.

"Ms. Frost, what a delightful surprise."

I involuntarily yanked apart from Ashton before turning around to spot myself in the bold gaze of Michael Clifford. My heart instantly leaps at the sight of him, and I can't locate my brain or voice. Frankly put, I am utterly thrown by the presence of him standing before me.