Chapter 10

We spoke to Alec in the foyer. Common pleasantries on my health and being glad I was out of the hospital. I never thought someone I went to high school with would help save me. I was surprised. 

When Anna saw I was overcome, she helped to facilitate the conversation.  Alec was understanding. Caring without judgement or pity.

The tears just streamed silently down my face. 

"It was great seeing you Anna. Brianna, I'm glad your doing well. I need to get back to work. Be safe." Alec said as someone called him. 

 I felt like time had stalled. There was important hitch that I was going to miss if I didn't do something. There was so much I wanted to say. I didn't know how. This man saved my life and pulled me out of hell. 

"You should come to dinner." I said too brashly.  Alec startled.  My tone was off. It was too loud and awkward. My weird came out too strong. 

"I mean. I would like to thank you. Please join us for dinner." I said more softly, focusing on the vocal infliction of my words. I turned to Anna for help.

"Yes please. We insist. My son would love to meet a real policeman. If he knew you were in the tactical squad, I would be the best parent in the world. I insist." Annabelle implored. 

"Well, it's been a long time since I had a home cooked meal. How could I say no?" Alec replied. 

"Thank you." I said, conveying more that what I was able too.

"Great. We'll see you around seven? It's on Pruvis drive, in Montgomery. Big house with the toys in the yard and treehouse in the back. I have kids. Just look for the trail of mud and glitter. If you can't find it, ask the neighbours for the house with the rowdy kids that create devastation. They will gladly point the way." Annabelle said. 

"I'm sure I'll find it. I'll see you later then." Alec said. 

When we got to the car I sobbed. Full blown heaving sobs. Anna just rubbed my back. Pantsuit made me realise that I could have been a corpse. I should have been one of the bodies wrapped in tarp. Or dissected like the monkeys and rats. 

Alec found me. I was alive and made it out because Alec found me.

By the time we got home, my face was red and puffy. 

At 7pm on on the dot, there was a knock on the door. The twins beat Bobby to it.  The kids loved him. It was amazing to see them spirited and cheerful. They were so subdue around me. Alec brought out their childhood.

"What made you decide to become a cop? In high school you were so set on becoming an archaeologist." Bo asked. Him and Alec had been in the same class. Seniors when I come in as a freshman. 

"I did but University wasn't cheap and they weren't exactly handing out scholarships for archaeology at the time. It was harder to dig for a scholarship than for bones. My next choice was to be a cop. I don't regret it." Alec said. His reasoning was sound and mature. No hesitation.

Bo and Alec continued to regal stories of their younger days.  It was nice to hear who they were and to see that they had also changed dramatically with time.

Anna got up to clear the table and Bo helped her in the kitchen. The kids were reluctantly sent to bed. The sulking was heavy.

"So how are you?" Alec asked. 

"Good. All things considered." I said.

"I wouldn't be. I'd be a mess." Alec said bluntly. I smiled. For the first time, no one lied or gave me false pleasantries. A comfortable silence settled in.