Chapter 2

The feeling of confusion is something I have never been able to get used too. For the first six months of captivity I woke up unable to grasp where I was. For the next few years the feeling progressed not due to my efforts but side effects of the procedures conducted on us. You would think that I would be better able to process it by now. Alas, I am not. It was times like these, waking up in a new hospital room; arms in restraints surrounded by general chatter that made me feel immensely confused.

Hundreds of questions flooded my mind. Where was I? Did I really escape or was it just a hallucination brought on by the brain trauma? How come are hospital rooms so cold? Did I imagine everything? If I was freed then why was I in a hospital? Was I in a new facility? Is this a new room in the old place? Does a new room mean a new level of testing? If no one saved me was this also a figment of my imagination? Is Carl alive? Why does it smell like vanilla in here? Did I make it out? Why were my arms in restraints? If I was restrained then maybe I wasn’t free

All the while I looked around, studying each corner of the room, trying to find a way of escape. The fact that I was tied down couldn’t be good. I had to be back in some new hellhole. I pulled at the bindings with all my might and they didn’t even budge. That meant this was a place that was prepared for my kind. I was screwed. Maybe I could out smart a nurse or a doctor. Human error and laziness was always a good friend of mine. I would just have to pretend to be weak and fragile. Then I could maybe steal an access card and get out of here.

“Ahh, I see you are finally awake. Welcome back to the land of the living. I must say we were not sure you were going to return.” Said a doctor coming into the room with a stout older nurse. His friendly smile seemed warm and welcoming. I found myself withdrawing deeper into my bed. It was weird. All the other doctors and lab freaks looked at me with disdain. Like I was an animal, a blemish on humanity. Not with sympathy. I wasn’t use to a look like that. 

“So, I want you to know a few things before we begin. Firstly, my name is Doctor Tom Dralon. I am a member of the Arcturus pack like you. My wife is a teacher at the high school you went to. At the time you would have known her as Stacy Cristin, the secretary of the school. We have two amazing children. A daughter that is three and a boy that is one and a half. The nurse next to me is Mrs Jackson. She is a tough bull that is sterner than my own mother. The only people that I have seen make her smile is her seven grandchildren.” He said pointing to the nurse next to him. Mrs Jackson just glared at him disapprovingly over her glasses. I wonder why he was telling me all of this. Also what was it that he wanted to begin?

“Right now you are on the third floor of St Vincent’s hospital. Do you remember it?” He asked. I nodded slightly.

“Good. I am going to open the blinds on you right hand side. We had it closed so that the light wouldn’t blind you.” He replied as he opened the blinds. Mrs Jackson raised my bed a few inches and I was able to see out. A glimpse of my town could be seen. Was this another form of torture? Was it a way to show me how my old life was just beyond my reach? I don’t know if I would be able to endure that. 

The people milled about in the courtyard below. They looked so at ease and relaxed. So normal. It stopped my heart for a moment. I hadn’t seen something like this in so long. Kids, couples and just normal. Normal life happening in front of my very eyes. It was breathtaking.

“Does this look familiar to you?” He asked. I nodded again. Even from up here, I could see the main road and the weird abstract statue in the front. I used to wonder as a child what is was. Still did. 

“Good. Now the reason why I showed you this and told you a bit about Mrs Jackson and I, is because I don’t what you to attack us. In a few hours we will be removing your bands. Before we do that though we need you to understand that you are safe and in a familiar surrounding. We also don’t want you to kill us, as we like to see our family. Before we remove your restraints we will need to run a few test to see how your brain is functioning and recovering from your head injuries. It will take about forty-five minutes. You’ll be able to keep track of the time on the wall. They are not invasive and once they are done we can bring in your alpha. Once you see him then we can remove your restraints, as you will know that you are not being deceived. Once you are stable and when we know you won’t injury anyone else then we can allow you visitors. Okay?”