Part 14 | Rule of Rassilon

Even though M and 7 had been inside the TARDIS a moment ago, they suddenly found themselves standing in a barn, surrounded by several men. Three of them were people 7 recognized: they were the first Doctor, the third, and the sixth. The other man was someone 7 didn't recognize: he had ruffled brown hair, red converse shoes like M, and a long brown trench coat.

"You must be the last one," the brown haired man said. "And you brought M, just like I remembered. You missed the conversation about what we call each other. We've decided to call each other by our numbers. He's 1, he's 3, he's 6, and I'm 10. You'd be 7."

A future version of him, then. He took a moment to look around, and he instantly remembered the barn. It was where he'd slept while he was in the academy, when he'd felt like he didn't belong with the other boys.

"What are we doing here?" 7 asked. "I don't expect this barn to be related in any way to the paradox. So what is this place doing here?"

"My boy, I think that's obvious," said 1. "The paradox is centered around us, and this place is important to us. Therefore, it's here."

"So there'd be other locations important to us," said 6. "Maybe that's where all the rest of us are. There's no way this is all of us."

"What's outside?" 7 asked.

"None of us have managed to open the door," said 3. "It seems to be locked, and not even 10's sonic screwdriver can get through. It's like a triple deadlock seal."

"Maybe there's some way to contact the others," said 6. "M, you should know something about that. Is there a way?"

M shook her head. "I'm afraid that at this point, I know little more than you do. My knowledge ended a while ago. You lot will have to work that out for yourselves."

"What about our psychic link?" 3 asked. "Since we're in a paradox, that means time is finite, and therefore we should be able to reach the others simply by concentrating."

The others nodded. Then they all sat down in a circle and closed their eyes, focusing on their other selves.

...

11 knew something was off when he stepped out of the TARDIS and into the TARDIS.

Except this place wasn't the TARDIS he'd just been in. It was the TARDIS as it had been when he'd first stolen it, with the white walls covered in round things and the six-sided console. The only thing different was the company.

He recognized everyone there. There was 9, with his leather jacket and dark red jumper, War, with his own leather jacket and white hair and beard, and Rassilon, wearing what looked like a simplified version of Time Lord robes. Essentially, it was a Time Lord hat with a red robe covered in circular Gallifreyan writing.

"Hello all!" he said, very cheery. "How's the end of the universe treating you?"

9 gave him a weird look. "You're a future me, right? What happened, did you find the TARDIS's stash of ginger beer?"

"Excuse you," said 11. War chuckled, and Rassilon gave all three of them dirty looks.

"I chose you three to be brought here for a reason, and it isn't to trade insults about being drunk," he said.

"I'd rather you didn't talk, to be honest," War told him.

Rassilon's face twitched. "I am Rassilon, future Lord President of Gallifrey, and you will listen to me when I talk."

The TARDIS door opened, and X stepped in, looking the same as when 11 had met him in the future. He even carried his staff.

"You are not the important one today, Rassilon," he said, in a very echoey voice that almost made him sound like he was talking into a microphone. "Today, the important one is the Doctor. Specifically, this one right here." he pointed his staff at War.