Part 16 | Death of the Doctor

That was it.

Of course, the scene was awful. A young boy lay dead on the ground with a hole in his head. And as horrible as the sight was, that was it.

When War shot Theta Sigma, it was just that. The Doctor had seen people get shot many times before, and this wasn't any different. This was the event that caused the paradox. There wasn't a bright light, or a rumble, or anything, just the body of a young boy.

Nevertheless, the Doctors were shocked. They stood staring at War, who still held the laser gun in his hand. He was worryingly unnerved.

Rassilon walked up behind War and put a hand on his shoulder. He nodded at War with a grin on his face.

"Your loyalty is appreciated, War," he said. "You have earned a spot in my hall."

"But I haven't, have I?" War said. "By killing Theta Sigma, I erased myself from existence, it just hasn't come into effect yet. I WON'T EXIST!"

Rassilon blinked and stepped backwards when War yelled at him. "Careful," he said. "I am Rassilon, your Lord President. I can keep you from being erased from existence, but what I do to you after is up to you."

"So you're going to torture me?" War asked. "Me, the man who proved for you that you can control your own destiny through manipulation? I would never side with you without a backup plan, 'Lord' Rassilon."

Rassilon's face tightened as he realized what War was saying. He ran over to Theta Sigma's body and looked for anything on it that he hadn't realized before, but as he held the body up it began to vanish.

Rassilon's eyes widened and he looked around at the room. "What was that?" he demanded.

War smiled. "Don't like not knowing what's going on, do you?" he asked. "I'm the Doctor, and I always have a plan.

"Under no circumstances would I ever trust you with anything other than attempts at power. When you asked me to join you, I did so to find out what your plan was. The whole time, I was talking it over with the other Doctors in the psychic link. They all agreed with what I was doing.

"Then 6 and 7 met the boy and found out that he was Theta Sigma, and after a quick talk with X, they figured out the nature of the paradox and your motivations, and they hypothesized that you would try to get me to kill young Theta Sigma. We came up with a plan to avoid this.

"The psychic link only connects Doctors, and even though young Theta Sigma isn't the Doctor yet, he is still me, so we brought him into the psychic link and updated him on everything he needed to know.

"He programmed something into the pillar while you all were trying to fix it that related to holograms, then he programmed the whole situation and hid behind the pillar to watch it play out."

On cue, Theta Sigma poked his head out from his hiding spot a little ways up the pillar and waved at everyone. "Hi guys!" he yelled.

Rassilon looked up at Theta Sigma with anger in his eyes. He was defeated, and he couldn't allow that.

He lunged at War and grabbed his wrist, and the two of them began to wrestle over the laser gun. 10 ran in to help, but Rassilon swung his arm towards him with a device in his palm, and 10 was enveloped in white light.

Rassilon elbowed War in the nose and yanked the gun out of his hand, then he hit War with the device and knocking him out of the paradox behind 10. Then he swung the gun towards the pillar and began to fire.

Theta Sigma jumped off of the pillar just as several laser bolts hit it in several spots, and it began to spark again.

"It's going to blow!" 8 yelled. "And we can't stop it!"