ix. hide and seek

You know how in the movies they show kids in college as this great adventure of self-identity and finding yourself, and as a kid I would watch these movies and dream about the days of going to college. The idea of being away from my mother (and Harry Potter) would make me so happy I already started picking out colleges in the 7th grade. 

            I later realized that people who make movies are liars.

            Maybe that’s why I want to be a screenwriter, I like lying. Why would you want a little kid to see what the world truly is? Wouldn’t you want them to believe that sometimes life has a way of working out even if it’s just for a little while? Right now my life is not working out the way it would in the movies because of one problem and one problem only.

            Mason.                    

            Mason.

            Mason.

            So far it’s been about a week since the incident, and we haven’t spoken since. Not like I’ve been wanting to speak to him in the first place, probably explains why I study in the library now in case he comes by my dorm room and why I eat every meal 2 hours late to make sure he isn’t in the cafeteria.

            It’s not only that, but now every time I think of Mason or even feel like I’m somewhere near his presence I start to feel weird. My heart starts beating rapidly and a nauseous feeling sets down in my stomach, and I swear my palms start sweating. I never sweat, not even last summer when we took a trip to Italy and it was over 90 degrees and I had on a very warm hoodie.

            If this is love, I want no part of it.

            Jenna and I are sitting on our separate desks and I’m trying to focus on studying for a test, but I just now that Jenna is staring at me which indicates she wants to talk. I get this feeling that Mason told her about what happened and naturally Jenna wants to discuss this. The problem here is I don’t.

              Soon enough, Jenna says, “Libby.”

            “Jenna.”

            “Are we-“

            “No,” I interrupt. “We are not.”

            “Libby.

            “No.”

            Jenna moves in a little closer to my desk and closes my textbook. “Oooohhhhh Liiiibbbbbbyyyyy,” Jenna singsongs.

            I couldn’t help but let out a chuckle, there was something about Jenna that could put anyone in a good mood right away.  “Fine, speak.”

            “So,” a sly grin appears on her face. “How was it?”

            “How was what?”

            “The kiss you idiot,” she replies in a sarcastic tone.

            “Oh, that.” Honestly, I have thought about that kiss more than a thousand times this week and every time I did I mentally slapped myself for being an idiot. I will not be the kind of girl that goes all soft because one boy decides to pay attention to her. “It was…unexpected.” I finally reply.

            Jenna shakes her head, “You are terrible at being girl.”

            I ignore her comment and turn my attention back to my textbook, after a few seconds the words begin to jumble up in my brain so I close my textbook only to turn around and find Jenna waiting on us to continue the conversation. I know this for a fact because Jenna is giving me one of her signature looks that at all costs you would probably want to avoid.