Chapter Six

Where was I walking? Where was I headed to? The more I walked, the further this vast territory seemed to stretch. It was endless. An eternal walk and an eternal fate to me. I sat on the empty floor, and pondered. I no longer heard the clicking, and I no longer felt that ominous presence. Moreso now, I felt an intense longing to see others. I grew up hating people. I hated to see other people and I always simply wanted to be around my closest friends and family. That was it. Strangers were dead to me. But now, I may be dead to them, and I only wished for one simple request, and that was to talk to other people again. Or even see them. I looked down towards my feet and I saw my face. It was mirrored, but distorted in a way. It looked... off. Like half of my face was missing. It piqued my interest. I was simply confused at the fact of the mirror disregarding half of me. Like it didn't exist.

There it was again. Click. Click. CLICK. CLICK.

I grew weary.

It grew louder.

Louder.

LOUDER.

I looked up from the mirror.

I heard the noises, except now they were followed by a strange croaking.

I saw a black figure in the distance. It stopped to turn its head toward me, then walk away. It dissipated into the distance, and it seemed to cease its own existence. Fear entombed my mind and heart, and I began to run. To no success or avail, running did me no good. Neither did staying put, to be completely honest.

Was I losing my mind? Was this God's way of punishing me for my sins? Or was this simply another trip gone bad?