You And I Could Be The Best Of Friends

Jacky

“Jacky, your friend’s here,” my mom called from down the stairs. I blew out a sigh and fixed my hair once more before opening the bathroom door and going downstairs. 

Before I even made it downstairs, I could here my dad asking Brian a bunch of questions. “So, you’re in a band?” my dad was asking as I entered the living room. As soon as Brian saw me, he gave me a huge grin. His whole face seemed to light up as I came into the room. I smiled back at him and I could feel the butterflies in my stomach going wild.

“Don’t stay out too late,” my mom ordered as Brian stood up from the couch. She gave me an encouraging smile and we made our way towards the door.

“We won’t ma’am,” Brian replied, giving her a polite smile. We then said our goodbyes and were on our way. I kept having to wipe my hands on my jeans because they were sweaty. 

“So, um, where are we going?” I questioned as we neared the sidewalk. I was a bit confused as to how he got here since there was no car and all the band had was a tour bus, but I didn’t question.

“I have no idea. What’s in walking distance from here?” he replied, shoving his hands in his pockets. He seemed nervous for some reason, but I didn’t know why.

“There’s shopping center not too far from here. There’s some restaurants and a movie theatre and some other stuff,” I replied, suddenly thankful for living near a shitty shopping center. 

“Sounds good,” he commented and I started to lead him to the shopping center. Thankfully, it wasn’t too far away and we were there in about twenty minutes. The walk there was silent, but a comfortable silence. I was more concentrated on enjoying him company than coming up with something to say.

“No way! They have a Taco Bell!” Brian exclaimed when the restaurant came into view. I couldn’t help but laugh at the fact that he was excited over Taco Bell. I guess it didn’t take much to make him happy.

“I take it you like Taco Bell,” I murmured just loud enough for him to hear. He shot me a grin that almost made my heart melt if that was even possible and quickened his steps.

“That’s an understatement,” he responded. “But we don’t have to go there if you don’t want to,” he added quickly, slowing his pace.

“No, I love Taco Bell. Who doesn’t like tacos?” I replied. I was now glad that I had always had a soft spot for Taco Bell. I didn’t want to crush his happiness.

“Awesome!” he exclaimed, clearly happy that I shared his loved for his favorite fast food chain. Soon, we neared the building and he held the door open for me. I mumbled my thanks and we got in line.

After we got our food, we found a table and settled in. “So, is there anything good playing at that movie theatre?” he questioned as he unwrapped his burrito. He seemed to be distracted by something he was thinking about, but I didn’t question it.

“Um, I have no idea,” I answered. I didn’t really keep up with all the movie releases. Most movies had gone down hill lately and I really just didn’t care.

We were silent for a few moments until I couldn’t take not knowing what he was thinking about anymore. I literally had no experience with all this dating-type stuff so I wasn’t even sure if it was any of my business to ask, but I really didn’t care. “What’re you thinking about?” I asked softly.

Brian

“What’re you thinking about?” she questioned just above a whisper. She looked over at me shyly like she wasn’t sure if she should ask of not. I couldn’t get one thing off of my mind and I knew it was going to ruin my time with Jacky.

“How old are you?” I heard myself blurt suddenly. In my mind, I was still contemplating whether or not I should just wait until later to ask her, but there was no going back now. It was just the way her dad had quizzed me earlier and her having to call her parents the other day made me feel like I was back in high school. I was kind of just hoping her parents were really overprotective. She just seemed so much older. Maybe not as old as me, but at least out of high school. She acted like she was at least eighteen, but the way her parents treated her was like she was fifteen.

She mumbled something I couldn’t quite make out, which scared me even more. If she didn’t want me to know, then she was definitely not as old as she acted. “What?” I questioned, not knowing if I wanted to know what she had said.

“Fifteen,” she answered a bit louder this time. Well, that explained why her parents treated like she was so young, because she was young. I sat back in the plastic booth, hoping I had heard her wrong. There goes that dream of a relationship with her, I thought. 

“Oh,” was all I could muster out. Of course the one girl I had feelings for; the one person I thought I might grow to love, had to be nine years younger than me. 

“Yeah, I guess I should’ve told you earlier,” she murmured, running her hand through her beautiful brown hair. I guess I should stop thinking she was beautiful since it was illegal.

“No, it’s cool. I’m still glad we’re friends,” I told her, trying to make her feel better. It wasn’t ‘cool’ because I liked her as more than a friend and I kind of thought she liked me in the same way, but that wasn’t her fault.

“Me, too,” she agreed, smiling at me. I would’ve done anything to make her three years older, but that wasn’t possible. ‘Just friends’ was something I would have to get used to.