Shouldn't Be So Complicated

Brian

I told Jacky I’d text her, but I doubted I would. I also told her that next time we came to Houston, we should hang out, which was probably also a lie. I really hated having to be ‘just friends’ with her because I liked her so much. I was thinking if I just distanced myself from the situation, my feelings would fade, but I was wrong. 

I literally thought about her every single day. Everyday something would remind me of her and I would want to text her. She texted me a bunch of times, but I never responded. I felt bad, but we couldn’t be together and I couldn’t handle talking to her knowing that we could only be friends.

She was literally just so amazing and beautiful that I couldn’t stop thinking about her. Her face would pop into my head at the most random times and I would wish that I could pick up the phone and call her. I wished that I could tell her how I truly felt, but that was out of the question. Even if she felt the same, it was still illegal for us to be together. 

Why could she just be three years older? Three fucking years. At this point, I think I’d even take me being nine years younger just so I could be her age and we could be together. All I wanted was for her to be my girlfriend. Why did she have to be so young?

Jacky

I was really annoyed that Brian wouldn’t return any of my calls or texted. I mean, I thought he wanted to be friends. I could tell he wanted to be more than friends, but me being fifteen didn’t allow that. But he said he was glad we were friends. So why was he ignoring me? If he didn’t want my friendship, I wished he just tell me instead of leaving me to guess.

Jackie tried to tell me that he might have just lost his phone or something, but I knew that wasn’t it. I knew she didn’t even believe what she said. She was only trying to make me feel better, but it didn’t work.

“Jacky, you know, maybe he just doesn't want to talk to you if you guys can only be friends,” Jackie suggested. It was the same sentence that had been running around in my head for the last few weeks, but I didn’t want to say it out loud because it would be like admitting that… well, I actually don’t know what it would be like admitting. I guess I just didn’t want it to be true.

“I know, but he said he was glad we were friends and I really thought he meant it. He didn’t seem too upset when I told him, but now it looks like he lied to me,” I responded, playing with the fringe on the blanket which was covering my bed.

“I know it sucks, but Jacky, you need to do something besides stare at your phone hoping he’ll text you back. He’s an asshole for saying that he wanted to be your friend and then never texting back, but that doesn’t give you permission to sulk in your room for the rest of your life,” she argued. I knew she was just trying to help, but all I wanted to do was wait for him to text back. I liked him a lot; more than a friend, but I was cool with just being friends. So, why wasn’t he? Couldn’t he just get over it? If he waited three years, we could be together. It wasn’t like a guy was going to come and snatch me up or anything. Why did relationships have to be so complicated.