Do You Dream Of Me?

Brian

Jacky leaned up to kiss me. Her lips felt like pure bliss pressing up against mine. When she pulled away, she had the cutest smile on her face and her brown eyes were glistening in the sun light. She looked beautiful; even more beautiful than usual.

“I love you, Brian,” she told me, still smiling. She looked up at me and brushed some of her chocolate brown hair out of her face. The whole thing felt right; like she should be telling me she loved me.

She placed her hands on my arms. The contact felt amazing and sent goosebumps over my skin. I then closed the space between us once more. I could’ve kissed her all day. It didn’t even cross my mind that we couldn’t be together. I was so wrapped up in the moment; wrapped up in the moment that I couldn’t think about anything else.

I was just about to tell her how I loved her so much more than she could ever understand. But when I opened my mouth, her body disappeared into thin air. I frantically touched the space where she had been, but she was gone. She was gone forever. Whether she really loved me or not, she had no choice but to leave me alone and broken hearted.

Suddenly, the bus lurched forward and I was jostled in my bunk. I knew why I had had the dream. We were back in Houston. There was a chance that I would see Jacky and it was making my feelings even more strong than they were before.

I laid there, wishing the dream was reality for the longest time. I had wished we could be together for the longest time and the dream didn’t help. All I wanted to do was to be able to hold her, tell her I love her, kiss her…

Brian! You can’t think that way about a fifteen-year-old girl! the voice in my head yelled at me. It was right, of course. Half the thoughts I had about Jacky would make anyone think I was a pervert. But I just liked her so much. Why did I have to be so in love with a girl so young? Why couldn’t I just have picked someone my own age? Or at least over eighteen? Who passed that stupid law anyway?

I let out a sigh and searched around for my phone. It was only 6:15 in the morning, so I got comfortable and tried to fall asleep again, hoping that I wouldn’t have another dream about Jacky.

Jacky

Luckily, The Summer Set were back in Houston and Jackie and I had tickets. I was hoping that if I stuck around long enough, I’d be able to see Brian. It was a long shot, but I knew that he usually went out to meet fans after the shows, so I had a slight chance. As always, their set was amazing and so were the opening bands. Jackie and I were standing in the back, so he didn’t see us. I wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not. I doubt that if he saw me in the crowd he would be smiling like the first time he had seen me amongst the sea people.

They seemed to play forever. It was probably just because I wanted to see Brian. Usually I really enjoyed their set and it went by quickly, but not tonight. It seemed to drag out. A long hour later, The Summer Set ran off stage. Jackie and I stood against one of the walls and we both had our eyes peeled for Brian.

After about twenty minutes, all of the fans who had stuck around started to talk excitedly. It seemed as if the bands had finally come out. I decided to wait to approach Brian until he was finished with most of the fans since I wanted to talk to him. It wouldn’t be fair for me to keep him away from all his fans. Unfortunately, there seemed to be a never ending crowd of fans and time dragged out. I was glad Jackie wasn’t complaining or pushing me to go talk to him. 

After about an hour, most of the fans had cleared out and I saw my chance to talk to Brian. I walked up to him casually and tapped on his shoulder. The butterflies in my stomach seemed to be going wild and I seriously just wanted to get this conversation over with.

“Hey,” I greeted as he turned around. His expression was unreadable. He looked happy to see me for a moment and then his smile faltered. I had no idea why he looked so upset, though.

“Oh, hi, Jacky,” he responded, avoiding my eyes. He looked like he’d rather be anywhere but standing in front of me. To tell the truth, it kind of hurt that he really didn’t want to see me. Why did he lie and tell me he wanted to be friends if he wasn’t going to want to talk to me?

“Why haven’t you responded any of my text or returned any of my calls?” I questioned. I tried to sound confident when really, inside, I wasn’t even sure I wanted to know the really answer.

He let out a sigh and ran his hand through his hair. “Because I don’t want to talk to you,” he replied. He was trying to sound harsh, but his words came out just above a whisper.

“Then why’d you say you were glad to have me as a friend?” I exclaimed, getting angry. There wasn’t anything I hated more than I liar. Why didn’t he just tell me the truth?

“Because I did want to be friends back then, but now I realize we can’t,” he responded, his voice rising. Now I was really confused? Why couldn’t we be friends? I had thought we had a pretty nice friendship before this.

“Why the fuck not?” I cried out. I couldn’t help but be mad. He was aggravating me so much right then. He couldn’t seem like the perfect guy and then all of a sudden turn into my worst nightmare. That’s not how things worked.

“Because Jacky…Just leave me alone,” he shouted, attracting the attention of a few fans. I didn’t want to walk away, but I was so done with him. If he didn’t want my friendship and he was going to be a jerk about it, then I didn’t need him. I quickly stormed away, grabbed Jackie, and practically ran out of the venue.