Chapter 19: Just Saving The Day

Eggman held up a new gun and fired it at the dark type Pokemon, who dodged it easily, but the evil genius didn't seem concerned as it continued to advance on them both, flexing its fingers casually.

"Eggman-" Tails began, but before he finished what he was about to say, a red light covered 'Shadow' and he disappeared into a Master ball. The genius held up his gun proudly.

"A master ball lock-on missile gun." He explained to the fox and gave a haughty sniff before snatching up the master ball and crushing it in the palm of his hand. "Two more to go."

"You just- that Shadow Pokemon-" Tails stammered as Eggman threw away the pieces.

"It won't be a problem any more." He assured as he tucked away his gun. "Now for the problem of you six. I'm guessing that Sonic thought he could take on the water hedgehog all by himself, huh?" 

"Well, maybe, but-" Tails started to protest, but was cut off.

"And I'm assuming that Amy thought she could take on the physic type?" Eggman tutted "If you would all just listen to me, we can get this done!"

"I'll listen to you, Eggman." Knuckles stumbled from the woods weakly "But you need to treat us equally. If we don't want to do something, you shouldn't force us!"

"Should I not?" He frowned darkly "And what if I need something done as soon as I say it and not when you feel like it?"

"I said, we'll listen to you." Knuckles snapped "But if you use another 'TM' or whatever they're called, I will refuse to help you, even if it means you'll kill me. I've had enough!"

"Kill you." Eggman tilted his head and threw him a small kite-shaped stone "I wouldn't be able to go through with my plan if you were dead. You know how I hate inconveniences."

"You must hate..." Sonic coughed up some water as he pulled himself to his knees "Yourself, then." He retched and Eggman raised an eyebrow, trying not to be disgusted.

"Always original, aren't we?" The genius muttered "And how come you always get up when I come around? Tails was about to get pummelled."

"Well excuse me for fainting." The hedgehog snapped back and Eggman sighed, before trying to do an impression of Sonic.

"Thanks for saving my friend, Dr Eggman!" He trilled, before striking up a handsome pose and replying to himself "Oh, don't mind me, Sonic! I'm just saving the day."

"Saving the day? When have you ever saved the day?" Sonic snorted as he used a tree as leverage to stand up, when Vector opened his eyes.

"He saved your life once." He murmured "He saved the universe by sacrificing himself..."

"Vector, shut it and shut it now." Eggman snapped, but Sonic was interested.

"He doesn't look very sacrificed if you know what I mean. Don't people who sacrifice themselves usually die?" The hedgehog pointed out.

"I honestly don't know why I never die either, but we're busy and I think that we should talk about something else." Eggman glared at Vector.

"I want to know the story." Sonic shakily leaned against a tree "Go on, Vector."

"Don't say a word, Vector." Eggman threatened.

"Go ahead."

"You dare!"

"I'm waaaaiting."

"Eggman shut up and sit down." Knuckles growled suddenly "When Sonic wants something, he gets it, so you might as well quit while you still can." They glared at each other for a moment, before Eggman sat down and put his hands over his ears.

"Remember when you went into space with Cosmos?" Vector asked quietly.

"I remember." Tails replied in Sonics place. He looked at the trees sadly and took a breath "What about it?"

"At one point, you landed on a planet that was completely surrounded. There was no way you could have got off alive and Eggman knew it. He made a ship that looked just like yours and took your place." The crocodile reported "I know because he needed a lot to drink afterwards and we'd opened up a space-bar for some cash."

"Why'd you never tell us before?" Sonic asked and he replied with a small shrug.

"Sometimes I wondered if you'd even listen to something good about him. He is a person, at the end of the day, but you only ever see him as the evil genius." Vector glanced at the strangely shaped creature, who had his back to them, his hands firmly over his ears.

"I know you're listening, Egghead." Sonic muttered and Eggman turned to look at him "Why?"

"Why what?" He frowned in confusion.

"Why'd you save us?" He demanded and the genius opened his mouth and closed it again, flustered. Then he cleared his throat.

"For business, of course. They wanted to destroy the universe. I wanted to rule it, but I can't rule something that's not there, can I now? So let's move on. Present day. Powerful Pokemon. Evil master. Let's go. Now. Please." He clenched his fists and looked away. Sonic sighed.

"Fine, I'll be your Pokemon."

"Wh-what?" 

"I said I'll do what you say."

"Oh ho ho ho, that's been rephrased!" He laughed "A sob story and you'll be obediant? That's how it works?" Eggman howled and Sonic stumbled over to him.

"Eggman, I swear to Mobius, if you mess us up you'll regret it. You know you'll regret it." He pressed a finger against Eggmans chest and he went silent "A single wrong move and I'll take you to a nest of gyarodos." Eggman swallowed and gave a small nod as Sonic stumbled away.

"H-hey." The genius added, pulling out some more kite shaped stones "Do you know what a revive is?"