Chapter 21: One To Go

Eggman couldn't believe it. They were going to lose. 

They trusted me He remembered with a small pang And I failed them. I guess... that's just how it is.

To his left, Knuckles suddenly smashed the Amic down and she crumpled in defeat; Fainted. Now that she was still, Eggman could lock onto his target and fired his Master ball gun. It snatched her up and he crushed it quickly, before turning to Knuckles, who looked shocked. 

"I-I feel great." He admitted as he glanced at himself "I feel like I got powerful."

"You leveled up a bit." Eggman explained and sighed "Knuckles, we're not going to make it."

"What do you mean?" The echidna glared "I just took her down, there's only one left! We can take him!"

The genius glanced at him sadly "I'm sorry, but you can't. He evolved, his speed just about matches Sonic's now and Sonic is weak to water. If I'm right, he'll be defeated in the next three minutes, Espio close behind, leaving you. You're already weak. You wouldn't last long. We've lost." As he spoke, Sonic flew across the floor and slammed into the wall. He weakly tried to turn his head and gave in tiredly as unconsciousness took over.

Espio was unfazed, he fought on bravely, and Knuckles gritted his teeth. "Fine, then run! Get out of here while you can, we'll hold him off." He demanded and jumped into the fray, but Hydro pump shot them both into the wall and they hit their heads awkwardly. When they fell to the floor, they stayed there.

"Eggman." The Sonic Pokemon looked at him and he swallowed, but didn't bother running. What would be the point? "Let's make..." It grimaced, as if talking was hard "A deal."

"A deal?" Eggman frowned uncertainly "What do you want?"

"The fox." It held out its gloved hand for the pokeball "I'll leave you... I won't kill you... Or your Pokemon." The Sonic stepped towards him "If you... let me have him."

Eggman hesitated, remembering how unnecesarily violent he'd been with Tails, but the genius valued his life more than he valued a fox, so he unclipped the pokeball and threw it to him. As soon as Sonic caught the ball, he ran off.

Tails blinked as the sun scalded his eyes and was partly relieved when something blocked the light, especially when the outline looked very much like his best friend. However, he quickly realised that it wasn't the Sonic that saved the day back home, it was the water type Sonic, who'd broken his tail torturously. The fox whimpered.

"What do you want?" He asked and the water type kneeled down to him so that they were face to face. It spoke in it's Pokemon language, but for some reason Tails could understand him.

"Your friend Amy meant nothing to me because I had my own version. I had Amic. I'm sure that's why I didn't care for her." His eyes narrowed "But I feel something for you, and it only intensified when I made you scream."

"What do you mean?" Tails gasped as it grabbed his other tail, the one that wasn't broken.

"I have feelings that I know Sonic has too. I hate Eggman. I'm in awe of Giovanni. I like Meowth. I loved Amic. I don't understand his feeling for you. It's not something I've felt before." He pulled the fox closer and gripped his tail.

"N-no! Don't break it!" Tails begged "Please! Me and Sonic are best friends! So don't hurt me!" The Pokemon tilted its head and kissed Tails, who widened his eyes in shock. He was too afraid to stop him, so he let him push him into the grass and stiffly took the Sonic's kiss.

"No." The water type sighed in annoyance "It's not that either. What is this feeling?" Anger flashed in his eyes and he grabbed the tail again. Before Tail's could protest or react, he slowly began to break it, bending it and listening to the bones crack. Tails screamed and writhed in agony, trying to get away, but the Sonic wouldn't let him. The feeling inside him grew and he desperately tried to understand it, but it was like a million peice puzzle to him. Finally, the tail snapped and hung loosely against the grass as he let it fall and the fox sobbed quietly.

"P-please." He whimpered pathetically.

"What is Sonic to you? He's not just a friend. I know that feeling. This is something more!" He persisted, but the fox just cried uselessly.

"I d-don't know!" He screamed "I don't know! Please! Let me go!"

"No." Sonic replied harshly "You'll stay with me, by my side, until I figure this out."

"No." The other Sonic growled viciously as he walked up to the Pokemon "Get away from him." The water type held the broken part of the fox's tail, making him cry out. Sonic flinched at the noise, as if it physically hurt him.

"What is this Pokemon to you?" He demanded "It's almost like you love him, but you don't."

"I do love him, just not the way you understand. Tail's is like family, he's like my brother." Sonic held up his hands and the chaos emeralds appeared around him "And for the last time, WE'RE NOT POKEMON!" The blue hedgehogs fur burned yellow and a strange auror blasted the Pokemon, intimidating him, lowering his defence stats. Sonic glared with bright red eyes as he casually advanced on the water type, who blasted him with Hydro pump. However, it wasn't effective anymore. Type advantages were above Sonic now. 

"Don't think you've won yet." The Pokemon warned him "I have my own magic stones." He grinned and pulled out his evolution stone. He tightened his grip on it as his body began to change. He was getting bigger. He was going to get faster. He was going to fight to the death.