NOT YOUR BABY

He does not stay mad at Nanti for long.

He never gets upset with her after she burns him because he is so relieved that she at least cares enough to hurt him.

Because her burn reveals she is still in love with him, and that ultimately she too is hurting.

The next morning, Nanti eyes the scab she gave him and bites her lips and she almost says that she is sorry.

However she does not; she blames him for all the unfortunate things that happen to her because she feels that he has robbed her from something she cannot yet grasp.

She feels as if he has stopped her from... evolving.

So naturally, she does not bother to wear the wedding ring with the sparkling, crushed diamonds. It sits on the dresser and diffracts light when the sun's rays hit it.

He's nursing the scab in the mirror when he says "Nanti, you have makeup that can cover this?"

And those hazel green eyes are on hers and she pushes the hefty barrier of his charming appearance out of her mind because she cannot stand him for looking so good and being so good.

Him alone in the bathroom with her is overwhelming her senses; he smells spicy and woodsy, his hair is faded with precision, his pearly whites, the abs, the height, no shirt and just sweatpants... all of it is sensory overload and furthermore weakening the resolve she has against him.

She thinks that she does not deserve him, though since he's cheated she has actual plausibility to hate him.

She sighs and gets her concealer tube and he sits on the lid of the toilet. She's standing between his legs, blending in that concealer to hide that nasty scab.

"It's cleared up since you put the disinfectant on it," he is attempting casual conversation but she just gives him a noncommittal shrug.

He looks at her dark brown eyes and dark skin and short, wavy hair. She looks so, so sad but she's still a Mona Lisa. He could stare at her all day, try to paint her on the canvas that is his mind. He wants to hold her and kiss her and douse her in affection but he guesses she will not like that at all, not anymore, thus he does not.

Élan tries not to cringe when she blends the concealer in with heavy, insensitive movements to the fragile scar.

"You're so beautiful," he tells her and her pretty, little forceful hands falter.

"Is that why you cheated on me?"
Nanti's voice is barely above a whisper.

"I cheated because I had to see... I had to know if you were still in love with me,"

She grimaces.

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"No, it's supposed to make you feel worse." He places a hand on her arm, and rubs her flesh, palm raising goosebumps in its wake.

"You won't even look me in the eye, baby, why is that? I want to help you, let me help you."

"I'm not a fucking damsel in distress, I don't need your help." She states.

Élan's hand is caressing her arm, still.

"You are so soft, Nanti. I want to hold you and rub your hair but you won't even look into my eyes. Why are you so cold to me?"

She wants to throw something at him for being such a good man.

"Élan. I'm tired-"

"We don't even make love anymore.
You just want me to fuck you, like you're some random ass girl. All you do is party, you're trying to escape me. What did I do? What did I do wrong, baby, please tell me and I'll fix it."

"Stop calling me that."

"Stop calling you what?"

"Baby. I'm a grown ass woman."

He looks at her and smiles.