Twelve

Jazmine woke late the next day and stumbled out to the kitchen in her clothes for patrol. She was half way through making pop tarts before she realised she had an audience.

"Maybe you could wear clothes while we have guests," Jacob suggested and Jazmine turned to find Jake, Quil and Embry looking on from the living room.

"Maybe you could warn me." She snapped. She made eye contact with Embry before Jacob smacked his head, forcing him to turn around.

"How are you feeling after last night?" Embry asked and Jacob looked between the two. Jazmine stared at him with wide eyes and Embry froze.

"What happened last night?" Jacob asked slowly.

"Embry picked me up from a bar in Port Angeles because no one else would answer." Jazmine shrugged.

"Is that all that happened?" He asked and Jazmine frowned.

"I wasn't drunk, what do you think?" She asked sarcastically. She grabbed her breakfast and slipped into her shoes before leaving.

Her head still hurt but she figured that was more from being dehydrated than anything else. She presumed she'd heal but she had taken in a lot of alcohol last night.

Sam and Jared were waiting for her at the door and she pushed past them in search of a drink of water.

"You're late." Sam frowned.

"Forgot we had a group patrol." She sighed and filled a glass with water from the faucet.

"I'm sorry I hung up on you last night." He sighed and she shrugged.

"It's okay also we can get drunk. You just have to stay topped up. Like very topped up." She sighed and turned to face them.

"Did you run home?" Sam asked.

"Nope, Embry picked me up. I should let you know, I have a headache and I'm not sure if you'll be able to feel it." She warned.

"Jaz, we don't get headaches." Jared laughed and Sam looked her over.

"You were with someone last night." He guessed and she nodded and held up two fingers.

"It's gonna hurt more as a wolf. The spirit warrior in you doesn't agree with your decisions. That's why it hurts."

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Patrol was hell because Sam was right. It did hurt, a hell of a lot more. Sam had no mercy, in his opinion if he had to fight through it then so should she.

Jared found it hilarious that she had kissed Embry and congratulated her on the fact that she picked the one teenager she knew from the Rez that would never be a wolf.

"At least it won't be awkward." Jared was way too happy with himself.

"Can't wait to see what it'll be like when Leah phases." Jazmine sighed and Sam froze. He followed her line of thought and for the first time considered the fact that Jazmine wasn't going to be the only female wolf.

"Oh no." He groaned and Jazmine barked out a small laugh. Jared wasn't too long taking her down a peg by reminding her that probably included Rebekah and Jenna.

"Who had an on/off relationship with Jenna for a year?" Jazmine asked and Jared whined sharply.

"Let's just hope I'm the only female wolf."

Jazmine was happy when the conversation finally died down and everyone went back to their own thoughts. Jazmine was focusing on her run while going through the things she'd have to buy at the store later.

Sam was wondering if Emily would like to go away for their anniversary and if he could trust the wolves enough to behave while he was gone.

Jared, on the other hand, was doing his damnedest to think about his pace which meant he was avoiding something. The second Jazmine realised Jared slipped up.

It was an image of Rebekah and Paul. They were standing on the beach talking. It was fleeting, something Jared had seen while on patrol the night before and without meaning to Jazmine showed them everything from the day before.

"Oh man, that's rough."Jared winced and Jazmine sighed.

"Maybe they are just friends?" Sam suggested and Jared attempted to back him up but it was clearly nobody believed it.

"It's okay. I'm going to die alone with no husband and no kids." She whined, trying to joke but another worry that was plaguing her popped up.

Jazmine had been a wolf for two months now and hadn't had a period since then. She knew there was probably a reason she had become a wolf, clearly, she wasn't fertile.

"That might not be why." Jared attempted to sooth him but it was alright for him. Nothing stopped working with him when he changed.

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Jazmine tossed the frisbee to Jared who jumped and caught it with way more dramatics than needed. Kim laughed from the picnic blanket. Emily was talking to Sam about some sort of meeting he had coming up and Jazmine smiled.

This was her pack. Her people. They were taking a few hours off to have a picnic on the beach.

"I'm telling you Jaz, you can't beat me." Jared laughed. Jazmine threw the frisbee again and he caught it and then winked at Kim.

"Whatever, I'm still faster." She shrugged. Jared shook his head and rolled his eyes.

"No, you aren't." He knew she'd challenge him and she knew she was only a little faster.

"Fine, first to the top of the cliff." She took off running before he could complain and listened to him follow. She was just barely ahead of him and she laughed, pushing herself higher onto the rocks.

"You cheated." Jared huffed when she stood proudly at the top.

"I'm faster." She laughed. She tossed the frisbee at Jared, laughing at the fact she was too busy to even drop it. He tossed it back and she jumped backwards for it, ignoring his warning.

Then she was falling. She attempted to control her dive, straightening her body out but she still hit the water hard. It didn't hurt obviously but if she was a human it would have stung.

She held her breath and pushed upwards into the water, surfacing again.

"Always wanted to just jump off a cliff. Ten out of ten." She yelled to a worried looking Jared. He disappeared for a second before he was jumping off the cliff and crashing into the water beside her.