Fourteen

Embry splashed water at Jazmine and she rolled her eyes at him before putting her hat back over her face. She had the late night patrol but everyone had wanted to go to the beach so she got no sleep.

"Cheer up Jaz." Kim laughed and Jazmine growled and attempted to get comfortable.

"Yeah, things could be worse, Paul and Rebekah could be walking down the beach right towards us." Jazmine bolted up on her towel and looked up and down the beach before glaring at Jared.

"I'm gonna run you over in a car one day and I'll laugh while every bone in your body breaks." Sam laughed loudly and Jared attempted to reply but Kim showed chips into his mouth instead.

"Leave the girl be. She's tired." Kim chastised. Jazmine smiled and stretched her arms over her head. She was just beginning to fall asleep when Embry stopped splashing around in the water and Sam's breath hitched.

"Either Jared's about to throw something at me or there's trouble." She removed the hat from her face and found Paul's younger sister standing at the end of her towel.

"Jaz?" She asked and Jazmine sat up.

"Sarah, sweetie are you okay?" Jazmine asked.

"Can I talk to you, alone?" Sarah asked and Jazmine nodded.

"Sure, let me just get dressed and we'll go up to the diner for a milkshake." Jazmine grabbed her shorts and pulled on what she assumed was Embry's shirt on top of her swimsuit.

She led Sarah up to the diner but the girl seemed to have lost her confidence. The diner was practically empty and Gary glared at her from the kitchen. He still hadn't forgiven her for leaving that day.

"Two milkshakes please."

When she got settled into a booth and knew they weren't going to be interrupted she smiled softly at Sarah.

"What's bugging you?" Jazmine asked.

"Paul." Jazmine wanted to coo at her facial expression but knew it was probably best not to.

"He tends to do that, what is specifically bothering you about him?" Jazmine smiled.

"He's leaving us." Jazmine's heart fell as Sarah began to sniff and she moved to the other side of the booth to hug the little girl.

"Oh honey no, he'll never leave you. He might go away for a little while but he's your brother." Jazmine ran her hand through the girl's hair and tried to shush her.

"But California is twenty hours away so he won't come home at the weekends and then he'll get a job there and he'll never come back." Jazmine sighed and hugged Sarah closer and whispered soft words to her.

"Paul isn't going to leave. He's not that type of man. He'll never be like that." Jazmine sighed and kissed the top of her head.

"Nobody thought Dad was that type of man either." Sarah whimpered and began crying harder.

"Sarah, honey you need to control yourself. Paul and your father have nothing in common. Paul is a great man and he's going to make a life for himself." The words burned Jazmine but she fought through it. Maybe not in California but she knew Paul would prove himself.

"I want him to make a life with you, though." She sniffed and Jazmine pursed her lips.

"Paul has to make his own decisions, who knows, maybe one day we will. My mother always said 'if it's meant to be, it will be'." Jazmine wiped under Sarah's eyes and smiled softly.

"I'm sorry for crying." She sniffed and Jazmine smiled softly. She pushed some of Sarah's hair back and looked up when the door opened and Rebekah Littlesea came in looking panicked.

"Sarah!" She marched over to the table and completely ignored Jazmine. "Your brother is worried sick. Come on and I'll bring you home."

"I'm talking with Jazmine." Sarah sighed. Rebekah finally allowed herself to look at Jazmine but she once again chose to ignore her.

"Paul wants you home, now." Jazmine took a deep breath and slid out of the booth.

"Go on sweetie, Paul is looking for you." Sarah looked between the girls and shook her head.

"Can't you just tell him where I am? I'm not done talking to Jaz." Sarah begged Rebekah who shook her head.

"Home." She demanded and reached for Sarah. Jazmine stepped in the way and frowned.

"I'll drop her home after and if Paul has a problem with that he can come get her. I don't like how pushy you're being." Jazmine took her seat in the booth and Rebekah stared in disbelief before storming off.

"Now, what else had you to talk about?" Jazmine asked a grinning Sarah.

/\/\/\/\/\/\

"I'm guessing he didn't have a problem with it." Jazmine smiled and turned Sam's truck onto the LaHote drive.

"He probably did. His temper is worse than ever lately. My mom must have convinced him to leave us alone." Sarah was right because Paul was waiting in the doorway with his arms crossed.

His mother was attempting to look over Paul's shoulder to wave and Jazmine sighed. She parked the truck and got out, watching Sarah make her way in.

Paul moved silently, looking her over to make sure she was okay before blocking the doorway again. He glared at Jazmine and she shrugged.

"I don't know why you're pissed, she came to me." That was the last straw for Paul. He closed the door in his mother's face and walked slowly forward.

"She left here without a word. I didn't know where she was and then I find out she's with you and you wouldn't let Becks bring her home?" Jazmine shuddered at the nickname and crossed her arms.

"She needed to talk Paul."

"She could've talked to me." He insisted.

"She's scared Paul! The last man that left never came back." Jazmine snapped and Paul's anger peaked.

"It's not your responsibility to care for her. You made your mind up on that matter." He snapped and Jazmine raised an eyebrow.

"You've no problem working on the Rabbit with Jake when you think I'm not there. Why can't I help your sister when she comes to me crying?" Jazmine yelled.

"You chose to break up with me!" Paul turned his back and Jazmine grabbed his arm.

"Don't turn your back on-" Jazmine broke off when Paul shook her free and pushed her back. She landed on her ass and stared up at him.

"Paul!" Sarah yelled from the window and his mother rushed outside. He was staring at his hands in shock and Jazmine realised what happened. His wolf strength was coming in. He didn't know the force in his hands.

"Get into the house." His mother snapped and offered Jazmine a hand up. She shook her head and pushed herself up before getting into the truck and backing out.