Chapter 6

He sighed and said, "That's a long conversation, one that I was planning on having tomorrow. I don't suppose you could wait until then?"

I felt defeated but said, "Yeah I can wait."

"Okay good. Well it's two in the morning. You should be getting back to bed. Do you want to try to sleep some more?"

I shook my head no and said, "I'll just lay here."

He smiled and said, "No you won't. Would you feel better if you came and slept with me?"

I raised my eyebrows slightly and said, "Yes, but you don't have to let me."

"No it's fine. Here come on."

He could tell I was reluctant to go even if I wanted to. He stood up and took my hand and with Benny in my hand I walked down the hall into his bedroom. It looked the same as my room only a little more lived in.

He tucked the covers in under my chin once I was in bed then got in on the other side of the bed. I still felt uneasy about going back to sleep and facing my nightmares.

"It's okay. She can't hurt you here. Try to get some sleep," Severus said from beside me.

Clutching Benny to my chest I put my head down on the pillow and fell asleep.

I woke up to Severus shaking my shoulder trying to wake me up, "Jessica, Jessica wake up you're having a bad dream."

Once I had woken up I realized that I had been thrashing around in my sleep and that was probably why he woke me up. I saw sun streaming through the window and no longer felt guilty about waking him up again.

I rubbed my eyes saying, "What's going on?"

He said gently, "You were having a bad dream so I woke you up. Its about 9 o'clock."

"Oh really! I'm so sorry," I exclaimed putting my hands to my mouth and hopping out of bed.

He put a hand on my shoulder to stop me and said, "Why?"

"I didn't wake up early enough to make breakfast."

He let out a short laugh and said, "You don't need to make breakfast. We are going to a diner today and most days I'll make breakfast once you get up."

"Really?" I asked dubiously.

He let out another laugh and said, "Really. Why don't you get ready so we can go and get some breakfast? I'm sure you're very hungry."

"Okay sounds great; I'll go put on my shoes."

"You need to change first Jessica," he said.

"Oh yeah I probably should, but I don't have anything to wear sir."

"Severus," he reminded, "Oh I hadn't thought of that, what is your favorite color?"

I wasn't sure I heard him right, "Come again?"

"Your favorite color?" he repeated.

"Oh I guess just black or white," I said.

Taking a look at me he said, "I'll be right back"

Sure enough a few minutes later he came back with a black shirt and a pair of jeans. They looked too small for him so I assumed they were for me. I was so excited; it had been years ago that my "Mother" had bought me new clothes.

"Are these okay?" he asked staring at the pile in his hand.

"Yes thank you," I said smiling widely.

He handed them to me and I briefly wondered where he had gotten them from. I pushed that though aside and half ran half walked back to my room.

When I came back out a few minutes later I was wearing my new clothes and was ready to get some breakfast. I went downstairs and found Severus there reading a paper. I could have sworn the pictures were moving although it must have just been a trick of the light.