90 days to love - Chapter 8

I’m ready to go. Jared turns in his sleep, his bedhead sticking out like he’s been electrocuted. His pain will become a bit more intense when I leave but it will be bearable. He only needs my presence now. That’s why he’s in my room.

Upon his discharge from the infirmary, Jared's claims that he couldn't sleep without me were a sure scam as far as I believed. After slamming the door in his face, I woke up a few hours later to the tortured cries of a anguishd man to find him sprawled on the floor, his hands clutching at his stomach.

The guilt ate away at me to the extent I’ve allowed him to stay in my room. I slept on the couch as he tossed and writhed on the bed. That was the second time he persuaded me into sleeping in the same bed. It was also the second time I awoke snuggled into his chest. Today however, I managed to get away with staying on the couch. He’s slowly getting better, he doesn’t need as much of my pain relief.

I perch on the couch and tie up my black high heeled boots. Grabbing my coat, I creep to the door. Taking one more look at his peaceful form, I close the door gently so I don’t disturb him.

 My boots click against the shiny white floor as I stroll down the hallway to the rendezvous spot Ally and I agreed upon. Tonight is the first ball and I need to acquire a dress.

"Lara" Ally calls as I round the corner. She’s dressed in the typical Leto colours with white Capri trousers and a white t shirt. Her blond hair, hangs in a messy ponytail. That’s the only noticeable human part of her; the only peccadillo. 

"Hey" I smile. She gives me a swift hug before tugging at my hand.

"Let's go, the tubes are this way" she beams.

"What are the tubes?" I ask.

"They're transportation tubes. You step in them, activate the control pad and instruct it of your desired location. That's how we'll get to the the village" Ally remarks, skipping joyously along beside me. 

"Can you go anywhere in them?" I ask, instantly intrigued. 

"Basically" 

My pulse quickens, I could see my mother. My mind opens to a wide span of possbilities; I don't have to stay here, I could leave.  If everything goes wrong, I can be with my mother for our last moments.

 "Lara, what are you thinking?" Ally asks, concern etched on her distressed features. I shake my head in response. I don't want to inform her of anything; I love Ally but I know I can whole put my trust in her half-heartedly. I'm no Leto Rex.

We carry on walking down the identical hallways. Though the corridors are voiceless, I'm still smiling. It's cordial to know I have options; the thought sets me at ease. As I glance around the monotonously alabaster corridors, The idea that Jared knows his way around here as well as any of the Leto’s amazes me.