Chapter 5

I get to the dining room and see that everyone is already situated in their seat. Did I really take that long? I just went to use the restroom after I left Maya's room.

"Elise! We were just talking about you!" Lidia exclaims when she notices I'm in the room. "Maya has told me how much she likes you already! And your mom has told me that you happen to love children!"

I nod, wondering where this conversation is going. I take my seat next to my mom that's also right across the seat Daniel is sitting. Katie, his girlfriend, already left and went home.

"Yeah! Lidia was telling me that she can't find a babysitter for Maya and she doesn't trust Daniel to by himself so, I told her how much you would love to." My mom speaks up.

I give her a 'Really?' look. I love children but it would have been nice to be informed. I still have work to catch up on in my AP classes.

Lidia notices the look I give my mom and says "You don't have to if you don't want to sweetie. I'm fine with finding another one."

At this, I see Maya frown which makes me feel bad. Of course I would love to babysit her. I'm just going to have to do my homework earlier then. I quickly recover myself and say that it's fine. I don't want Lidia going through all that trouble just to find a babysitter. I then ask her when she needs me to babysit her.

"I know it's a little soon, but is tomorrow fine? I can drop her off at your house at about 4:00?" She responds.

"Ok! That's fine with me!" I insure.

"Thank you so much Elise! You're a life saver!"

Maya suddenly pipes in, "I get to go to Elise's house?!" she squeals. "I can't wait!"

With our exchanges, Daniel doesn't say anything but is quietly looking at me, deep in thought. What does he think about when he looks at me? Am I that bad?

I shake the thought out of my head and ignore his stare, continuing to eat the delicious meal that Lidia prepared for dinner.

*******

The next day before school, I'm at my locker getting my chemistry book out when my locker slams shut...AGAIN! I swear, people here have a problem.

Expecting it to be James I say, "James! Would you st-" I pause, seeing a face that isn't James'.

"Nope! It's me." Daniel says smirking.

I scrunch up my face. "What's up with people slamming my locker shut! Don't you have a girlfriend you could be bothering instead of me?"

"Naw. She has mandatory dance practice this morning" he says, waving his hand.

Dance? They have a dance team here? I would love to start dancing again. I haven't danced since we moved. Granted, it wasn't that long ago but, still! I would dance all day at my old home.

"Oh... So you decided that it would be fun slamming my locker shut, also having my hand slammed, yet again?" I nearly screech.

"Precisely!" He pokes his finger at my shoulder.

I roll my eyes, "Don't you have other friends you could go bother or something?" I honestly don't want to talk to him right now. He's too much for me to put up with in the morning.

"Nope"

At the other side of the hall, I see Willa. Thank the lord!

"Ok, well I'll see you at lunch! Don't forget I'm bringing Violet. Make sure you all are nice to her." Giving him a pointed look and raising my finger at him.