Chapter 6

My first week of school actually went by pretty fast. In fact, it went by so fast, I don't have any recollection of what happened during the week except for the day I babysat Maya. It's Friday today and after school Willa met me at my locker so we can hang out. Thank God it's finally the weekend! I can actually spend time with with my friends now.

"So what did you want to do?" Willa asks.

I furrow my eye brows and contemplate. "I'm actually in the mood for a smoothie. Is there any good Diners around here?"

"Yeah! There's one just down the block from here. The diner is so old school. I love it!"

Just when I was about to respond, Daniel, Jayce, and James come. My eyes drift to who who James is walking with, and I smile. He's walking with Violet by his side and he's not just walking with her...he's doing sign language? Oh my gosh! Did he learn just for her?

When Violet notices me, I sign, "Um, would you like to explain?" gesturing between her and James.

Seeing as though James can read sign language now, he smirks down at Violet and then signs to me before she can. "When I got home the day I met her, I went online and looked up how to do simple sign language, and so when I saw her again, I asked her to teach me more stuff" He stops signing and speaks so Violet can't understand. "And also because I want to get to know her."

I smirk at James. "Told you! I was right!"

James just roles his eyes at me. "Yeah whatever Elise." But I see the slight blush that makes it's way onto his cheeks. Can't be slick around me.

"Ok would someone like to tell me what's going on?" Daniel and Jayce say at the same time with confused expressions.

Oh...right! They still don't understand sign language. This communication thing is going to be kind of difficult. I make a note to myself to make sure to teach them when we have time.

"And James, where the heck did you learn sign language?" Jayce asks.

"I'll tell you guys later" he responds dismissively.

Next to me, Willa taps my shoulder. I jump, almost forgetting she was here. She lets out a chuckle, making everyone snap their heads in her direction with confused faces, probably wondering who she is. Oops. I mentally face palm myself.  I also forgot to introduce her to everyone! What kind of a friend am I?

I introduce her to the guys and then to Violet. I had to explain to Willa why Violet can't understand us. She told me she kind of figured that she was deaf. I have no idea why she asked me if she already knew. But of course, I didn't say that. I thought it though.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and check the time. My eyes widen at the time that's on the screen. Willa and I better get going if we want to go to the Diner so I tell her that we have to go. However though, before we even make two steps away from them, Daniel asks if they could come along because they don't have any thing to do.

I look at Willa with a questioning look. She shrugs her shoulders and looks at them. "Sure! Why not!"

James asks Violet if she wants to come with. When she has a reluctant look on her face, James signs that he won't let anything bad happen to her, making her smile up at him. She nods her head and signs, "Ok". I swear one day they are going to date and be the cutest couple!

We make our way to our cars and decide that Willa will go in Jayce's car, Violet would go with James, and me and Daniel would take our own cars since neither of us would leave our car at school.

I follow behind all of them since I don't exactly know where the Diner is. Once we pull into the parking lot of the Diner, I finally get what Willa meant when she said that the Diner was old school. The diner had neon lights that surrounded the whole building in red and blue. It kind of looked like something you would see in a 1950s movie when everyone went to something that they called "The Hop"...or something like that.