Chapter 3: A Rough Start

The next morning Dawn jumped up in her bed.  She looked across the room only to find its occupant missing.   Dawn scanned the rest of the room for any trace of Shadoe, but she was gone.  She shrunk down on her bed in disappointment.  She wanted to talk to the Rimanis girl and get to know her but it seemed that Shadoe was not up for friendship at the moment.   Dawn sighed and glanced to her clock.  

            “Oh shoot!”  Dawn jumped out of bed and threw on her uniform to the dining hall. She grabbed her book bag and ran out the door.   She hurried across the grounds and through the tunneled entrance into the school.  She rushed up the stairs and down the corridor to the main hallway where the doors to the cafeteria were. 

            "Dawn!"  Ethan's voice called.   Dawn slid to a stop and spun around.

            "Ethan! Are you late, too?"  She said out of breath.

            "No, actually I was waiting for you."  He looked away with a smile.

            "What? Why?"

            "Well you're my friend, I didn't really want to sit with Rosaline or the others.  Come on."

            "You didn't see Shadoe, did you?"  He shook his head as they walked into the cafeteria and into the line for breakfast.

            "Why?  Should I have?  I wasn't really looking for her." 

            "She's my roommate.  She came in late last night and left early this morning.   I feel like I need to make sure she's ok.  You don't think perhaps she isn't happy to be here?"

            "It's a bit early to tell isn't it?  We've all only just arrived."

            "Yes but she doesn't seem like she wants to be here.  She's always sneaking away and coming and going as she pleases."

            "Should we really bother with her though?  I mean, she hasn't exactly been the friendliest with us."

            "No you shouldn't."  Shadoe's voice came making Ethan and Dawn jump as they turned to see her standing in the land behind them. 

            "How do you keep doing that?"   Dawn asked in a huff. 

            "Doing what?"  Shadoe asked in confusion.

            "You keep popping up and vanishing?" 

            "I think it would be less of a shock if you took in the world around you, Dawn."  Shadoe grabbed a banana and walked around them.   "And please stop worrying about me, I'm fine on my own."   Dawn frowned and turned back to the line of food.  

            "See, don't worry about her."  Ethan patted Dawn on the shoulder.

            "But, she just-"  Dawn turned around but stopped as she scanned the cafeteria.

            "What's wrong?" Ethan asked.

            "She's gone. She's gone again." Dawn huffed and turned back around.  "I do not understand her."

            "Come on, let's go."  They went to sit at a table to quickly eat their food. “Are you at least excited for classes?”

            “I suppose so, what do we have today?”   Dawn asked as she shoved some bread in her mouth.