Chapter Twenty-Three: On the Rise (Part II)

Angel was being ridiculously slow today. He was on his damn cloud nine, while I was honestly still terrified of the fact that I was pregnant. I was scared that so many things would go wrong. Nothing was resolved, honestly. Everything was fucked up. Angel still had his enemies and because they were his enemies than they were mine. I had niggas hating me just because I was with Angel. It didn’t make any damn sense. I knew that part of the disdain and anger aimed at the two of us had to do with racial tension. Some people didn’t believe in interracial relationships. That really was too damn bad for them because I didn’t give a damn about that.

“Keish, what’s up?” Tio asked his voice sounding off from the hall.

The nigga was getting around just fine these days. He was frustrated and stir crazy. I was about ready for him to take his ass back to living with Miguel and Ale. I didn’t have time for the shit that kept sprouting between him and Angel. The two of them were like complete opposites and rivals. It didn’t make sense. I was pregnant and Tio would know soon enough. Maybe that’d be enough for him to fuck off. Lately I was finding that I didn’t have patience for a lot of the petty things that him and Angel got up to.

“Nothing,” I replied, rolling my eyes.

“What did the doctor conclude?” he questioned.

“I’m pregnant,” I grumbled.

“What?!” he shouted. “How is that even possible?”

“She slept with me,” Angel interceded boastfully. “That’s how.”

Where the hell had he came from? I swore I was in the hall alone a few moments before and he was on the other end of the house. Damn, the fuck he was putting my business out there for?

“What the fuck are you doing putting my business out there?” I snapped. “Boasting and shit. What goes on between us should stay between us or you gone be hitting the road until it’s time for you to pay child support for your kid.”

I knew after the words left my mouth that they were cruel and unjust, but I was honestly feeling irked and tense. I felt like slamming something around or hitting someone. It wasn’t that I was pregnant. It was that I had been irritated with the two of them for the past few weeks with all over their bickering and nagging at one another. It was almost an overload on my emotions. It kept me and them on the edge.

A dark chuckle escaped him before he stalked forth and came to a halt before me. I looked up into his light brown eyes and saw that they were flashing with something close to annoyance and anger.

“Keish, don’t play with me. The moment you agreed to sleep with me sealed the deal and you know it. You’re mine. My woman. No nigga is putting his hands on you and living to tell the tale. No nigga is getting even the smallest taste of you. And if you think you’re taking my child away from me then you’ve got another thing coming.”

I gaped at him for a moment, before taking a deep breath. “We haven’t talked about this,” I retorted.

“I don’t know what the hell is between us. We have sex, we talk, we play around, but there hasn’t been any discussion on what to label us! Now we’ve got a child on the way and we’re still not in accordance. Slapping your chest and playing dominance games with other niggas doesn’t make a relationship. It doesn’t do anything but annoy me. No one is trying to fuck with me. They already know that I’m not interested and they know who you are. For fuck’s sake, I’m a walking target board and we’re bringing a child into the middle of all of this.”