Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Yup. Just me, Alaric, and the night terrors and sleep paralysis.

Nothing like another day in the life of Death.

After willing my body to calm down by focusing on the outside noises of my nightmare and terror, I managed to get out of bed. I changed into a pair of sweatpants and a tank top, heading downstairs as I listened to Alaric moving around the kitchen, talking to someone on the phone once again. I stretched at the bottom of the stairs, yawning wide.

"Yes, I signed the papers. Yes. Those ones too... Are you serious. It's my day off. Come on. Ugh, alright, just stop bitching at me for two seconds. I literally just woke up. Lemme throw some clothes on and I'll head over there as soon as possible. Don't let those assholes from the Razor X company leave, by the way. If they try to, hold 'em off. I have a bone to pick with that asshole from customer service." I poked my head in the kitchen to see Alaric moving quickly around the kitchen, shoving a couple pieces of toast in the toaster and putting a top on a pan of scrambled eggs and bacon.

"You're leaving for work?" I asked with a frown, walking over to him as he hung up.

"I'm sorry, baby. Some asshole lost the contracts I signed yesterday and that company that fucked up my order on the new communication devices is showing up today and I'm even more pissed now than I was when I called the pricks," he grumbled, heading for the stairs. I caught him around the waist, spun him around gracefully and pushed him up against the wall. He purred at that, gripping my arms, but not stopping me as I leaned in to give him one hell of a kiss.

"Be back soon," I murmured against his lips. He blushed, gave me a shove, then headed up the the stairs to get ready. I left him to do his thing as I went into the kitchen and pulled some breakfast together on a plate at the same time the front door opened, the sound of a few beeps indicating the maid had come in.

She poked her head in the kitchen and gave me a smile.

"Hey, Stanton, am I late?" She asked, tying her long auburn hair back into a ponytail. I shook my head, nudging my head toward the clock on the coffee maker as it grumbled and bubbled with another load of coffee to dump into the glass pot.

"I haven't left yet. Alaric's about to leave."

"I thought today was his day off?"

"Looks like there's some crap at work."

"That's too bad," she sighed, then offered me a smile, "Do you still want me to stick around today or should I go home?" I paused to consider that. She worked really hard. Even though the house seemed to be pretty clean on its own. Then again, maybe that's what I thought and the only reason it was always so clean was just because of her. I smiled.

"Go ahead and take the day off, Mia. Consider it a paid vacation," I replied. Her freckled cheeks blushed and her mouth opened in the beginnings of protest, but I shook my head.

"Don't argue, Mia. I'm gonna pay you whether you like it or not. Now go on and give my best to the husband. He still owes me a game of pool," I added. Mia laughed at the reminder.

"Oh, he knows you cheat, Stanton."

"It's not cheating. It's improvising. Tell him to try it sometime. He might actually learn a thing or two."

"Sure, I'll tell him," Mia said with a chuckle, then she looked around wistfully before meeting my eyes again, "If you're sure you don't need me..."

"Of course I need you," I responded with a scoff, "Our place would look like a pig stye if you weren't here to rescue us. Just because we're two males doesn't mean we're good at keeping a clean house. You probably know that already, though." Mia grinned.