Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

I wasn't entirely sure I was seeing right.

May have had something to do with the sword sticking out of my fucking chest.

"Oh my god," Alaric managed, blinking slowly at first before his eyes peeled wide in horror, his hands creeping up to his face, tears filling his eyes and overflowing down his cheeks. A horrid scream ripped out of his throat, and holy shit, that scream was going to follow me into eternity. My ears rang, my vision blurred as my pain became Alaric's. He wailed and dropped to his knees in front of me.

"Oh my god, no! No! Stanton, oh my god, I'm so sorry!" He grabbed at my arms, touched the sword through my chest, like he wasn't sure where to put his hands, and fuck, those tears were streaming down his face like an unstoppable waterfall. I tried to find the strength to lift my arm up so I could touch him, but fuck, nothing was working, my body was shutting down. I could feel the weakness spreading through me, traveling through my limbs. I couldn't even hold myself up anymore, so I slumped forward and Alaric caught me.

At the same time, I heard shouting from somewhere in front of me, indicating the others had found out what was going on. I could hear their footsteps thundering across the floor, feel the vibration of it spread through the floor. I tried to suck in another breath, but I only got blood in return.

"What's going on?! What happened?!" The question came from pretty much everyone around me. I could feel hands on me, feel someone pushing everyone else back. I heard Hades telling everyone to get the fuck back, but Alaric wasn't letting me go. He latched onto me and when Hades tried to pry him off, Alaric slapped him across the face.

"Don't touch him!" Alaric shouted at him. Instead of getting angry, Hades gave him a hard stare.

"Alaric, let go of him. You're not a doctor. You can't do shit about this," he ordered. Alaric teared up further, choking on another sob. He started to tighten his arms around me, but Lucifer was there to coax his hands off me. I felt myself lowered onto my side, and stepping into my view was Rowan and Xiphrus, both of whom looked horrified. And for some fucked up reason, I felt a laugh bubble up my wet throat and more blood pooled out.

"You should... see the look... on your face, asshole," I told Rowan, watching his eyes widen, "I finally got... something out of you." Rowan looked like he was going to hit me, but instead he just put his hands on his face and rubbed at it like he was trying to sand his face off. I wanted to make fun of him for it, but I didn't have any more air left in my lungs.

I was finished.

"What happened?" Lucifer asked Alaric sternly as Alaric wept.

"I heard someone moving around outside the room. I grabbed a sword off the wall and went out there to investigate. I thought it was the shifter. I-It kept coming to me as Stanton. I thought-- I thought-- Oh my god, I killed him! I killed my husband! I killed Stanton!" He broke off into another wail and almost fell, but Lucifer caught him against him and held onto him tightly. He looked over at Hades, who was examining the sword in my chest.

"Do something," Lucifer pleaded. Hades looked up at him with a grimace.

"Lucifer, I can't," he said in a hushed voice, like he was hoping no one could hear him, even though everyone was listening intently, "It's cut through one of his lungs. He's drowning in his own blood and an artery in his heart was nicked. He's bleeding out. If I pull the sword out, he'll die immediately. If I try to heal him with the sword in him, well, you can guess how fucking stupid that would be." Lucifer wanted to scream. I could see on his face, but he knew it wouldn't help. Alaric was screaming enough for all of them.