Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"We're not painting it black, Stanton."

"Well, we sure as fuck ain't paintin' that shit white. Do I look like Jim Anderson to you?"

"I don't have time for your dated references."

"I don't have time for your lack of culture, baby."

Alaric made a noise of aggravation, throwing his hands up in the air and stepping away from the pain catalog we had spread out on the island counter in the kitchen. He looked like he was about ready to rip the thing in half and set it on fire. It made sense; we'd been sitting there for hours trying to decide what color to paint the new fencing around the property. It was a pretty basic, made from recycled pallet wood that we laid down longwise with a tiny bit of space in between each board and it only came up to about my hip, if at all. It'd taken about three days to come to the decision.

And it looked like the paint was about to take another three days.

"Why does everything have to be dark colored to you? It's not going to match the house, or the neighbors'."

"Fuck the neighbors' houses. I ain't a suburban soccer mom. We're not painting it white."

"Well, we're not painting it black either." Alaric rolled up the catalog, and I gave him space to shove past me toward the office so he could tuck it away for now. I sighed, shrugging more to myself before I walked into the living room and flopped on the sofa, throwing my legs up onto the coffee table to watch the news, not that it was interesting. Just bank bullshit.

"Oh, by the way, Xiphrus and Michael are on their way, so get some pants on!" Came Alaric's shout from the office behind me. I groaned, stretching out before flopping over onto my side. Alaric came out, leaning over the back of the sofa to ruffle my hair.

"You're the one who told them they could visit."

"Yeah, but every weekend? Come on. I need to have some pantsless time," I grunted, then paused to roll over onto my back so I could look up at him. He looked down at me with a smile. I smirked, reaching up and yanking him over the back of the sofa, making him yelp. I got him settled across my body and he propped himself up on his hands over top of me, laughing softly.

"No time to get frisky, baby," he said, leaning down to rub his nose against mine, "We have parental units on the way."

"Aw, come on. Just a quicky."

"Nothing's ever quick with you," Alaric drawled. I grinned and he thumped me in the chest. I laughed and hauled him against me again, putting my hands on his hips and sliding them around to grab that perky ass, knowing full well that under his stained ripped jeans was a pair of lacy pale blue panties. Alaric moaned, connecting his mouth to mine for a kiss. I parted my lips for him, let him explore before I took control of the kiss, squeezing his ass hard, inching my fingers closer and closer--

A knock at the door made Alaric shoot upright and nearly clock me in the balls. I hissed, and so did he. He patted me on the chest, mouthed pants before he shot up to answer the door. I groaned, throwing my head back against the arm of the sofa. I waved my hand and a pair of black sweatpants appeared over my legs before I hauled myself to my feet. At the same time, there was a yipping sound.

Scowling, I went to the foyer, because I know Alaric didn't make those kinds of noises, and as far as I knew, neither did Michael, Xiphrus, or Fido. I came around the corner and froze. Xiphrus was standing in the doorway, decked out in jeans and a t-shirt advertising environmental protection. At his side was Michael, reminding me a lot of Joxeia, dressed in finery, but not so casual like Joxeia. Michael's was more casual-formal, a silk black vest over a blue button up and black slacks. But what made me go still was the sight of this tiny little golden retriever puppy in Xiphrus's arms, and holy shit, that thing looked so damn tiny in his arms.