Chapter Six

Chapter Six

So much for no more nightmares.

That night, I was in the past. I was weak, I was small, I was nothing.

It would start out like it had in the past. It would begin with darkness, then suddenly there was sunshine in my face. I was on my knees in the dirt, icy cold right down to the marrow of my bones, my body trembling. The sunshine blinded me for only a few seconds before his face came into my line of sight.

He was the epitome of beauty, and he was supposed to be. He was everything that was raw masculinity. From his jacked up physique to his square jaw, high cheek bones, fierce pale blue eyes that were the color of the sky above him. His long black hair was an inky flow over his shoulders, his skin dark and tawny, blemish free. Back in those days, he didn't have the tattoos that came with his being locked away. He was still virgin, still innocent, just as stupid as I was.

A smile spread across his lips. It was as bright and vivid as the sunshine.

"Hello," he murmured. I felt confused, his words taking a moment to register on a brain that knew everything, and nothing, at once.

"Who are you?" My voice was a hoarse whisper.

"My name is Xiphrus," he answered softly, "I am your father." Simple words, simple meaning, and yet they were so complex and powerful. His very words were spoken with the raw intensity of the Source, and I felt oddly humbled by it at the time. I remembered just sitting there, shivering, arms around myself as I stared up at him, awed by the sight of him so massive, so powerful.

As if realizing my cold, he nicked his finger and created a cloak out of the blood that fell from his skin. He shook it out, then knelt down before me and draped it over my shoulders, getting it snugly around me. I sucked in a deep breath at the warmth of that cloak, so incredibly soft. It was unlike any other material in the world, no comparison, just... as soft as a cloud, warm as the sunlight, and not incredibly heavy.

I drew the sleeve up to my face, inhaled the scent of warm spices from its material, rubbed the softness of it against my skin.

"What is this? It is so soft," I whispered.

"It is a cloak," Xiphrus replied gently, "I made it just for you. Only you can wear this. No one else, for this is my gift to you." He reached up and put his hands on either side of my face. His touch stole my breath away and I felt it hitch in my throat. His touch was so gentle, so kind. I could feel the power thrumming through his veins, feel that he had all the power in the world to do as he pleased, and with that power, he chose to touch me, caress my cheek.

I leaned my cheek against his hand.

"Who am I?" I asked, closing my eyes to savor the feel of him. At the time, I'd be happy if he just touched me like this forever. But he only blessed me further by leaning in to touch his lips to my forehead, and my eyes flickered open in surprise as I stared up at him and he smiled down at me.

"Death," he murmured, "You are the new beginning for the universe and all its beings. You are the first face those who pass into the next life will see. You are the one who will take their hand, and guide them to their next step. You are their hope. You are their light. You are their beacon. As the stars are our beacon to the Source, the Sun to our home and hearts. You are my gift to the universe. You are my son. My precious son. Born from mine tears and born from mine blood, and most of all, born from mine love."

Those words echoed in my head, even into my nightmares of the present day. And I said nightmares in a present tense. In the past, those words were a dream. They warmed my heart, kept me safe, gave me hope, led me to seek Xiphrus out day after day.