Chapter 2

"Do you have anything to say in your defence," Lexa spoke quietly, yet her voice still held strong.

"I need no defence!" The Queen raged. "You are the one in need of such a thing. Today is judgement day!"

"Do you have anything else to say for yourself?" Lexa's question, which was directed at the queen, was spoken with ice cold words to rival the iced lands that the woman came from. Lexa seemed on edge slightly, though only Clarke, who knew her more than the others, could tell such a thing. Her jaw shifted slightly, which is exactly what it does when she's angry and trying to conceal it.

But she could never fool Clarke.

"Only," she spoke plainly, "that you should not rule. You are not fit to be the commander. Perhaps it is time for someone from the Ice Nation to hold the position."

Clarke leaned forwards in her seat, the blonde girl in serious need of breath. Looking around the room, she could see that the others were in much the same state.

In a moment, everything seemed to happen so fast.

"Take the Queen away!"

Just as Clarke was about to move out of her seat, a man whom she did not know spoke up. "Nou Heda noumou."

Clarke did not need to understand the language to know exactly what he was saying.

Clarke noticed the corners of the Queen's lips curl up. Just then, many more of the leaders of the clans jumped up to join the Queens cry.

Titus was on the verge of rage. "Take these traitors away! Take all of them away."

"Wait," Lexa spoke so quietly, yet her voice held so much command that the entire room stopped to listen. "Let her make her move."

With that, almost the entire room seemed to jump up to join the Queens side.

"What is this, Commander?" Clarke asked almost in desperation.

"This is the law, this is Lexa's law," and yet, it was the Queen who answered her. "Death, and a unanimous vote of the ambassadors are the only two things that can remove a Commander from power."

Clarke smiled viciously. "It is not unanimous."

The Queen bit back in rage. "We do not recognise the legitimacy of SkaiKru."

"That matters not," Clarke laughed. "Yesterday, we took the brand. SkaiKru is the thirteenth clan." 

As Titus moved to execute all of them, the Queen continued on. "She will not take our heads, as she knows that our armies will merely retaliate back. None of us here wants to go to war."

Lexa smiled mockingly. "We both know what you want." She rose up out of her throne and walked down to meet the Queen. "If you think me so unfit to command, issue the challenge and let's get on with it."

The Queen smirked viciously. "Very well - you are challenged."

"I accept."

"So be it," Titus spoke with pain. "Single combat, warrior against warrior to the death. Queen Nia, whom in this room will be your champion?"

"My son."

Clarke knew exactly what that man was capable of. He was the worst choice she could think of.

Lexa seemed unfazed by the whole argument, and moved to sit back on her throne. "I am the commander," she spoke in her native language, "no one fights for me."

Oh God, was the only thing that Clarke could think, I can not lose her.