Chapter 4

She allowed her eyes to wander to Lexa's lips as Clarke found herself running her tongue gently over her own to wet them slightly. Lexa's hands fidgeted by her sides as she turned from Clarke and continued to perform the task she had previously been doing. "You're welcome," she spoke almost dismissively as she finally graced Clarke with a reply.

"Do you mind if I play some music?" Lexa asked quietly.

Clarke did not mind at all, she hadn't heard anything in a long time, not since the Ark. And even their collection was limited.

"No, I do not mind at all."

Lexa moved over to the corner of the room and then, she placed a disk in a strange looking device that Clarke had never seen before. They only had record players on the Ark. As Lexa sat down, the soft lull of the music began.

"Oh dear Lord I've loved
God almighty, God up above
Please, look down and see my people through."

Clarke sighed as she turned, not wanting to push the Commander whose home she was a guest in. Just as she took a step away from the other girl, she heard Lexa's voice speak up lightly behind her one final time.

"Stay, Clarke. Please, that's all I ask."

She found that she could not deny Lexa her one request. While she was hesitant to trust the woman who had betrayed her, she discovered that the deepest part of her was ready to forgive.

"I believe the sun and moon
Will shine up in the sky
When the day is grey
It's just clouds passing by."

"Okay, I'll stay."

She turned round too little too late, missing the way Lexa's breath caught at the husky reply. Clarke moved back over to the Commander and sat down next to her on the floor. It was then that she saw what Lexa had been doing before she had disturbed her. The girl had been sharpening a ray of weapons that belonged to her own personal arsenal, and Clarke found that among the few weapons that she recognised there was one slim narrow dagger that caught her eye. The blade of the knife glistened in the small reflection of the sun as it shone down from above.

"He'll give peace and comfort
To every troubled mind
Come sunday, oh come sunday
That's the day."

She picked it up hesitantly after a quick glance at Lexa, who was too engaged in sharpening one of the large swords she owned to notice. Clarke handled it gently in her hands as she ran a single fingertip over the right side of the blade. Beautiful symbols were engraved into its metal, symbols she recognised to belong to the grounder culture. While she did not know what the symbols meant, she could still admire the fascinating design that laced the blade. The handle was just as gorgeous; a strange material housed the heart of the knife, keeping it still and solid.

"Keep it." A quiet voice lifted through the air that could only belong to Lexa. Heda had looked up from her task and was currently staring with a strange intensity at the blonde girl.

Clarke breathed in a heavy breath. "I couldn't, it's yours."

"I insist."

All Clarke could think about was Lexa's impending doom. All she could think about was the vey real possibility that she would never see her again. Soon, Lexa's light could be snuffed out and it was an unbelievably beautiful light that Clarke never wanted to see leave the Earth. Clarke lived in space, yes, but she had never seen anything beyond, and therefore had no idea where souls went. Lexa, though, and the love that she clearly had for her made her wonder. She didn't want Lexa to fight Roan, and yet, she knew that the commander could never possibly back down from a fight.