INTERLUDE

The Gauntlet is back folks, and let me tell you, we've got all the makings of another scorching competition on the way.

With back-to-back winner Bruno Varlin graduating into the senior division, this year the doorway is wide open for a host of new potential champions. The list of candidates is a long one with a phalanx of veteran fighters joined by a fresh young crop of Gauntlet rookies ready to make their mark on the competition.

We can't talk about contenders without talking about last year's underdog story, Codi James. She's back, but this time she'll be leading a contingent of twenty-five fighters from Battlecast Academy into the jaws of the Gauntlet. Competing alongside her are a team of top seeded Battlecast veterans, Ripple Thawborn, Cassandra Riven, Chris O'Leary and Gareth Hosk to name a few, and some analysts are predicting a podium sweep for the dominant academy in Gauntlet competition.

But Battlecast aren't the only academy bringing some old-hands back to the table. First and foremost, from the Atlantic Academy, comes big Dustin Morto, arriving as the 3rd place seed for this year's competition. He finished fourth last time out and he'll be arriving with a point to prove.

Other veterans pegged as potential title winners include Layla De'Lavre from the Everest Academy, Norv Davies, top contender from Alpha Centuri, Iago Savar, from the East Spiral Gauntlet Academy, Rokki Thakker from Firequake and Darien Fallow from the local gang at Olympus Mons. All seeded highly in the rankings, any one of these talented young men and women has the potential to throw a monkey wrench into the machinery, and if there was ever a lesson to be learned from last year's competition, it's that anything can happen.

Max Lannigan, James' old team mate from Brax-Delta makes his Gauntlet return with the Knossos City Academy. Seeded twentieth by the analyst team, Lannigan has proved that last year was no fluke. Sparks will surely fly if these two old team mates come head to head.

But our big story is still to come! Arriving like a thunderbolt into first place in the Gauntlet seedings is new kid on the block, Keefer Darkwood.

Leading a five fighter unit from Black Horizon, this rampant rookie has spent his pre-tournament months getting heads to turn, and although he's yet to be tested in the real competition he will be a volatile wildcard when we reach the knock-out stages, and with a blistering analyst score of 98 points, ignore him at your peril!

And we wouldn't want to sign off before welcoming a brand new academy into the fold. Freshly founded colonial institute, Mantis Academy, will be sending its first ever contingent of fighters to compete this year, led by their very own scintillating rookie, sixteen-year-old Wren Cutler.

It's a new year, a new contest and there's everything to play for. So tune in around your tele-screens, break out your favourite academy colours and join us on the journey.

This is more than sport. This is the Gauntlet.

Jason Bannock, Sol-Net, Head Gauntlet Correspondent